Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:16 pm
It’s National Homemade Cookie Day today! Celebrate it with these mouth-watering M&M’s salted caramel cookies.
Ingredients for salted caramel cookies
- 150g unsalted butter, must be room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla essence in a bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy. Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl every now and then.
- Add the flour and beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Cover the mixture and place in the fridge for at least an hour or until firm.
- Shape the dough into small balls and flatten them slightly.
- Make an indentation in the centre of each cookie using either your thumb or the back of a teaspoon measuring spoon. (The edges of the cookie may crack slightly).
- Place 2 to 3 Salted Caramel M&M’s around the edge of the cookie.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- When taking the cookies out of the oven, use a measuring spoon to push the centres down a little to make a slightly deeper hole for the caramel to go in.
- Cool completely before filling the centre with salted caramel sauce.
Ingredients for the salted caramel sauce:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 90g salted butter, at room temperature cut into pieces
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. The sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick, brown, amber-coloured liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Once the sugar has completely melted, immediately add the butter. The caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added so be careful not to stand too close.
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it’s completely melted. It will take about 2 minutes. If you notice the butter separating, remove from heat and vigorously whisk to combine it again.
- Very slowly pour in the cream while stirring. As the cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rapidly bubble when added.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt.
- Allow to slightly cool down before using. Caramel thickens as it cools.
You can store the remaining salted caramel sauce in a tightly closed container for up to 1 month in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave, or on the stove to achieve desired consistency when you want to re-use it again.
The M&M’s Salted Caramel limited edition is available for the first time in South Africa at all major retail stores nationwide, while stocks last.
Recipe and photos by Angie Batis – Miss Lucky Pony