Your family’s tastebuds won’t know what hit them when you serve up this mouth-watering vetkoek cheeseburger.
Ingredients for the vetkoek
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes or until golden brown
- 500g Magwenya Flour Mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5g (1 ½ tsp) instant yeast
- Combine 1 ½ cups of lukewarm water with approximately 3 cups of Magwinya flour.
- Mix with the yeast in a bowl to make a dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a pot to deep fry the dough.
- Form dough into small balls and drop into hot oil.
- Deep fry the dough for 3 minutes on one side, then turn the dough balls in the oil and fry for another 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on tissue paper to drain off the oil.
Note: If you don’t want to make your own vetkoek from scratch you can either buy ready-made vetkoek or use the new pre-made Magwinya Mix available at supermarkets.
Ingredients for the burger
- Pure 100% beef patties
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 slice of cheese per burger
- 1 fresh slice of tomato per burger
- Fresh lettuce leaves
- Cooked onion
- Nola Original Mayonnaise
- Mango atchar
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
How to assemble your vetkoek cheeseburger
- Slice the Vetkoek in half.
- Take one side and spread some Nola Original Mayonnaise.
- Add fresh lettuce.
- Heat pan with oil and place burger patties in pan. Cook patties until your desired preference.
- Approximately 30 seconds before removing the burger patty from the heat, add a slice of cheese on top of the burger.
- Place burger patty onto the lettuce and layer with tomato and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Nola Original Mayonnaise and atchar mix on top of the burger (use approximately 1 cup Nola Original Mayonnaise to ¼ cup Mango Atchar).
- Finish it off with the cooked onion.
- Close the burger with the remaining vetkoek half.