Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:05 pm
- 185g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180?C. Process the butter, sugar and vanilla in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the flour, egg and egg yolk and process again to form a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough lightly, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough between sheets of non-stick baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Cut the dough into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire cooling racks.
- To serve, decorate with icing or dust with icing sugar.
These biscuits store well in an airtight container for up to a month. Alternatively, make the whole batch of dough and freeze half of it rolled into 5cm – diameter rolls.
To use, cut into discs, press down with a fork to make a pattern and bake as above.
Christmas Spices: adding a pinch of all spice, ground cinnamon and ground ginger will give the biscuits a seasonal spiciness. A tablespoon of currants and candied peel can also be added.
Lemon and orange flavor: grate the rind of one lemon and one orange, and add to the dough mixture for delicious citrus – flavoured biscuits.
Chop a few cherries, dust them with flour and mix them into the dough.