Last updated on Jan 13th, 2021 at 02:43 pm
When it comes to trifle you either love it or you hate it. There is no in between. But when it comes to the festive season, trifle is a dessert staple. Traditionally made with fruit, sponge, custard, jelly and topped with whipped cream, we’ve rounded up some of our favourite trifle recipes the whole family will love.
Before you start, here are our top trifle tips:
- Make all the components before you assemble the trifle
- If you’re not big on alcohol, use fruit juice instead
- Use fresh berries if possible
- We love store-bought custard for the convenience, but if you’d like to make your own, here is a homemade custard recipe
- Each trifle recipe can be made into individual portions or vice versa
- The presentation is everything. Take time to plan how you will place your ingredients
Showstopper trifle recipe
This Showstopper trifle recipe will wow your guests because it tastes even better than it looks.
Peanut butter cup trifle recipe
This decadent take on the classic trifle uses brownies instead of sponge cake and combines it with peanut butter. If you’re short on time, try the Woolies Ultimate Brownies that come in packs of six, R69.99. For the peanut butter cups, you can use Reeses Pieces or Eat Naked Peanut Butter Cups from Dischem for R19.95 for three.
Summer fruit cheesecake trifle recipe
This summer fruit cheesecake trifle doesn’t hold back because the cream mix contains condensed milk which gives it just the right amount of sweetness. Garnish with peanut brittle, Flake or freshly chopped nuts.
Berry trifles with pistachio and coconut recipe
Make your own sponge and yoghurt jelly for a healthier twist on this Christmas dessert staple. These mini berry trifles with pistachio and coconut have just the right amount of crunch too.
Individual chocolate cherry trifles recipe
This mix of dark chocolate, rich chocolate biscuit and cherries is the perfect end to any Christmas meal. This chocolate cherry trifle recipe will soon become your go-to recipe.
Mini Milo trifles recipe
This Milo crumble is everything and paired with chocolate ganache and Milo custard makes it even better. These mini Milo trifles are worth the effort.
Banoffee trifle recipe
Have the best of both worlds with this delicious Banoffee trifle recipe.
White chocolate popping trifle recipe
A white chocolate mousse with ginger crumble and a dark chocolate ganache is #dessertgoals. Here’s how to make the white chocolate popping trifle.
Try something different and go for a trifle slice for a twist on this festive favourite.
Want more trifle recipes?
- Head on over to Food & Home for 10 of the best Christmas trifle recipes
- Essentials has 6 more trifle recipes you might like