Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:15 pm
Marlon De Freitas from the Capsicum Culinary Studio team in Cape Town shares an easy cheesy potato bake recipe for your family braai this weekend.
- 3 large potatoes
- 20g fresh or dried herbs
- 10ml oil
- 600ml white sauce (see recipe below)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6g salt
- 6g pepper
- 100g cheese (any cheese that melts well)
- 6g smoked paprika (optional)
How to assemble your cheesy potato bake:
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Thinly slice garlic and set aside.
- Cut potatoes into medium-sized cubes, season with salt and pepper and then toss into oil with herbs and the thinly sliced garlic.
- Once potatoes are fully coated, place in a baking dish and put into the oven to crisp up.
- Warm up white sauce.
- Remove potatoes once golden in colour and pour over the white sauce making sure they are fully coated.
- Grate over cheese until fully covered.
- Turn oven up to 200°C and place the potato bake back inside. Bake for 20-25mins until completely golden and potatoes are soft.
- Top with herbs before serving.
Add left over roast chicken and different vegetables such as butternut, onions or cauliflower to bulk up the dish and improve the flavour.
White sauce recipe
- 1L warm milk
- 6g salt
- 6g pepper
- 200g flour
- 200g butter
- 150g finely chopped onion (optional)
- Add the butter to a pot on medium heat and melt (be careful not to burn).
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until fully incorporated. Cook for about 8 min (if this is not done the sauce texture will be grainy because the flour has not been cooked out).
- Once the flour and butter paste (called a roux) is ready, add the warm milk in four stages, consistently whisking so that it mixes well and you get a smooth thick texture.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add more seasoning if needed to taste.
- Sauce should be done once it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- A good whisk helps a lot.
- Do not let your sauce boil over as it will burn at the base and spoil the sauce.
- Add the finely chopped onion with the butter if you are using.
- Warming your milk before the time allows the sauce to cook faster and thicken faster.