Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 am
There’s always competition over who makes the best braaibroodjie. Do you butter both sides? Do you add mayo? What about the sauce?
Here’s a braaibroodjie that’s sure to have your friends and family drooling – and envious! The secret ingredient is Bovril…
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g rump steak
- 6 slices brown seed bread, 4 slices buttered on both sides, 2 plain slices toasted
- 1 cup mature cheddar
- 2 tbsp Wellington’s Mild Chutney
- 2 tsp BOVRIL (or to taste)
- Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce for basting
- 1 large handful wild rocket
- Place the onions and butter in a pan over a medium heat and cook slowly until soft and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, toss in Wellington’s Mild Chutney.
- While the onions are cooking, season the rump with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Sear over hot coals, basting with Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce until rare/ medium-rare. Around 3 minutes a side.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes and then slice into thin slices. Do another coat of Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce on the steak
- To assemble each broodjie, smear one piece strips. buttered brown bread with 1 tsp BOVRIL.
- Top with ¼ of the steak.
- Add the onions and a ¼ cup cheese.
- Top with a plain toasted piece of bread and repeat toppings as above, ending off with the cheese.
- Close the sandwich with another piece of buttered brown bread. 10. Pop into the grid and braai, turning continuously until golden and toasted.
- Once off the fire, quickly open the top lid of the sandwich, pop half the rocket in, squeeze shut and enjoy!
You might also like:
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amBeef Kebabs recipe – served with spicy vegetables and a lemon yoghurt sauce Ingredients 4 sirloin steaks 8 bamboo skewers 2 bell peppers 2 red onions 2 tsp ground coriander 120 ml […]
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amRecipe for garlic rosemary Chicken on the braai Ingredients 1 large free range chicken 3 tbs butter, room temperature 4 fat cloves of garlic, unpeeled 3 lemons few sprigs of rosemary olive […]
Quick and easy recipe for 15 minute Mac and Cheese…
Lovely lunch or dinner recipe for Cajun Chicken Wraps, with homemade avocado mayonnaise…
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amRecipe for a Butternut and Red Pepper Hummus Pressed Sandwich by celebrity chef Zola Nene – the perfect padkos for a road trip Ingredients For the hummus: 300 g Diced butternut 3 […]