Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 am
There’s always competition over who makes the best braaibroodjie. Do you butter both sides? Do you add mayo? What about the sauce?
Here’s a braaibroodjie that’s sure to have your friends and family drooling – and envious! The secret ingredient is Bovril…
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g rump steak
- 6 slices brown seed bread, 4 slices buttered on both sides, 2 plain slices toasted
- 1 cup mature cheddar
- 2 tbsp Wellington’s Mild Chutney
- 2 tsp BOVRIL (or to taste)
- Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce for basting
- 1 large handful wild rocket
- Place the onions and butter in a pan over a medium heat and cook slowly until soft and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, toss in Wellington’s Mild Chutney.
- While the onions are cooking, season the rump with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Sear over hot coals, basting with Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce until rare/ medium-rare. Around 3 minutes a side.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes and then slice into thin slices. Do another coat of Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce on the steak
- To assemble each broodjie, smear one piece strips. buttered brown bread with 1 tsp BOVRIL.
- Top with ¼ of the steak.
- Add the onions and a ¼ cup cheese.
- Top with a plain toasted piece of bread and repeat toppings as above, ending off with the cheese.
- Close the sandwich with another piece of buttered brown bread. 10. Pop into the grid and braai, turning continuously until golden and toasted.
- Once off the fire, quickly open the top lid of the sandwich, pop half the rocket in, squeeze shut and enjoy!
You might also like:
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amRecipe for much-loved South African syrup Crunchies – add melted chocolate to make them even more decadent. Ingredients 125 gram butter 50 gram (2 tablespoons) honey or golden syrup 3 tablespoons (75 […]
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amDelicious recipe for cheesy Pap (polenta) with mielie kernels Ingredients 4 cups (1 litre) water 2T (30ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Stock Powder ¾ cup (180ml) coarse yellow polenta or mielie meal 2 […]
Aromatic recipe for Bo-Kaap fish curry – serve with basmati rice and enjoy in this cold weather…
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amRecipe for easy-to-make Baked Cheesecake – top with sweet sherry or honey Ingredients 2 x 250 g tubs cream cheese finely grated rind of 1 lemon 2 extra large eggs 1 cup […]
Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:18 amFor the healthy eaters and those following a low carb diet, try this recipe for a Cauli-roti Ingredients 1 Cup Cooked “Cauli Snow” 1 Large Egg 2 Tbs Psyllium Husks 2 Tbs […]