There’s always competition over who makes the best braaibroodjie. Do you butter both sides? Do you add mayo? What about the sauce?
Here’s a braaibroodjie that’s sure to have your friends and family drooling – and envious! The secret ingredient is Bovril…
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g rump steak
- 6 slices brown seed bread, 4 slices buttered on both sides, 2 plain slices toasted
- 1 cup mature cheddar
- 2 tbsp Wellington’s Mild Chutney
- 2 tsp BOVRIL (or to taste)
- Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce for basting
- 1 large handful wild rocket
- Place the onions and butter in a pan over a medium heat and cook slowly until soft and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, toss in Wellington’s Mild Chutney.
- While the onions are cooking, season the rump with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Sear over hot coals, basting with Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce until rare/ medium-rare. Around 3 minutes a side.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes and then slice into thin slices. Do another coat of Wellington’s Steakhouse Sauce on the steak
- To assemble each broodjie, smear one piece strips. buttered brown bread with 1 tsp BOVRIL.
- Top with ¼ of the steak.
- Add the onions and a ¼ cup cheese.
- Top with a plain toasted piece of bread and repeat toppings as above, ending off with the cheese.
- Close the sandwich with another piece of buttered brown bread. 10. Pop into the grid and braai, turning continuously until golden and toasted.
- Once off the fire, quickly open the top lid of the sandwich, pop half the rocket in, squeeze shut and enjoy!
You might also like:
Recipe for South African classic – Spiced Cape Brandy Pudding, otherwise known as Tipsy Tart Ingredients 150g solid packed dates, chopped 150g Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 250ml boiling water 130g butter, at room […]
Yummy recipe for Chocolate and Fudge Nut Pieces Ingredients 100g raw almonds, roughly chopped 70g pecan nuts, roughly chopped 200g butter 250g castor sugar pinch of salt 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces How to Grease […]
We’ve picked our favourite South African desserts and found the best recipes for each. Now the only thing left to decide is which dessert you will make first.
Recipe for a divine baked Cheesecake topped with Plums and Nectarines Ingredients For the biscuit base: A little melted butter or vegetable oil, for greasing 60g butter 150g digestive biscuits, crushed 1tbsp caster sugar For the filling: 3 x 250g […]
Recipe for Vegetarian Bobotie that replaces the mince with lentils Ingredients Group A: 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground ginger 1 tablespoon (15 ml) soft brown sugar 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mild curry powder (if you like it stronger, use 1 […]