If you love pumpkin pie, you’ll love this sweet pumpkin porridge.
It’s delicious, nutritious and the perfect way to have a veggie-packed breakfast or dessert. While some might see this as a take on rice pudding, the first spoonful of this comforting porridge makes it clear, pumpkin is the star of this dish.
In South Africa, we don’t have pumpkin season, the large variety of pumpkins we have available means we have some type of pumpkin available all year round.
This versatile veggie is popular across the country because it is affordable and versatile, perfect for sweet, savoury and sweet and savoury dishes.
- 1kg pumpkin or winter squash (Salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar – Few pinches on each slice)
- 1 cup Sweet Mochi Rice/Glutinous Rice (or Flour)/Water, enough to cover over the rice for soaking
- 1-1.5 cup water, for cooking
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
- Organic Honey, to taste /or other sweeteners
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish, or any nuts
- Wash the rice and soak in a big bowl for about an hour.
- Place rice into a food processor with a bit of water and puree until it is granulated.
- Preheat oven on 200 degrees Celsius.
- Pumpkin Prep: Slice the pumpkin into thick slices, take out the seeds and reserve for later; Season pumpkin with few pinches of salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, and brown sugar to taste. Rub all over and place in baking pan.
- Roast until the pumpkin slices are tender.
- Separate skin from the pumpkin flesh and puree the flesh in a food processor.
- In a large pot add 1 cup of water and pumpkin puree. Stir until it bubbles, then starts adding the rice puree, keep stirring and add pumpkin spice, salt, and honey.
- Stir continuously to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add more water when porridge becomes too thick, and cook for 20 more minutes on simmer.
- Taste the porridge and season to taste.
- Garnish with roasted and peeled pumpkin seeds OR chopped nuts.
A busy day meets the need for a wholesome home-cooked meal and the realisation that you only have 24 hours in a day; it’s a wake-up call: there is a place for tinned veggies in your kitchen. While you could […]
A delicious vegetarian recipe that will have your family asking for second helpings….
Vegetarian recipe for a warm Char-grilled Summer Salad…
Perfect for a mid-week family meal. Try this easy Cheesy Mushroom & Spinach Loaded Polenta Recipe
Ingredients: 500g baby button mushrooms, sliced in half 2 Tbsp sesame oil 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger 1-2 fresh chillies, sliced 1 large head of cauliflower 1 cup fresh or frozen edamame beans, shelled 1 large […]
Please rate this recipe
Recipe provided courtesy of Sandra’s Easy Cooking food blog.