If you’re a fan of a rich and dense rice pudding and love all things stogy and sweet, then sago pudding is right up your ally
Enjoyed warm or cold, this almost custardy-type pudding can be flavoured in so many different ways, it could suit just about anyone’s tastes.
What exactly is sago?
Sago is a type of palm starch harvested from palm stems. Sago is a staple starch in many tropical countries where it served as both a sweet and savoury food comparable to how we in South Africa serve maize as a sweet, savoury, breakfast, lunch, supper and every day, all-day food.
- 150 g (1 cup) sago pearls
- 1 litre Clover Fresh Full Cream Milk
- 150 g (2/3 cup) castor sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 50 g (3 heaped tablespoons) Clover Mooi River Salted Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ground cinnamon to dust
- In a large bowl, soak the sago in the milk for at least 2 hours – overnight if you have time.
- Transfer the soaked sago and milk to a large saucepan, add 1/3 cup of the sugar, egg yolks and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and cook for about 20 minutes or until the sago is transparent.
- Stir in the butter and vanilla essence.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and 1/3 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks from the sago mix and fold the egg whites into the mix.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
– This dessert can be served warm or cold.
– Make it a day or two in advance, just keep it refrigerated.
Clover Mama Afrika, Clover’s corporate sustainability initiative, aims to empower women in communities across the nation with various vital skills such as cooking, baking, sewing, quilting, business management, and food gardening. Over and above the training sessions, these “Mamas” are all supplied with the necessary tools, equipment and infrastructure to create an income for themselves for them to give back to their communities. They are particularly proud of one of their Mama Afrikas who has been with them for 10 years.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
If you love pumpkin pie, you’ll love this sweet pumpkin porridge. It’s delicious, nutritious and the perfect way to have a veggie-packed breakfast or dessert. While some might see this as a take on rice pudding, the first spoonful of […]
Easy peasy recipe for pink marshmallow ice cream…
This minimal effort milk tart skips the pressure of baking a crust, making sure it has a balanced taste and making sure it bakes evenly before adding the filling. Not sure we’re ever baking a milk tart again.
A cobbler is a deliciously fruity dessert similar to a crumble. The flavour possibilities are endless, and this blueberry and port clobber is a great place to start.
Divide this recipe by four and have a decedent cupcake for one in just 15 minutes!
Please rate this recipe
Recipe Courtesy of Clover from The best of Clover World cookbook