Tasty Semolina Gujiya – also known as Taystee Half Moons – recipe by Derusha Naidoo.
Derusha shared that this is a recipe her mother passed on to her, but she has added her own twist when it comes to the fillings.
- 1.5 cups of self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 0.5 cups milk
- 0.5 cups Jungle Taystee Wheat
- 0.5 cups fresh coconut, grated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder or elaichi
- 0.5 tablespoons nutmeg powder
- 0.25 cups chopped cranberries
- 0.25 cups chopped pecan nuts
- Oil or ghee for frying
Making the Soji filling
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan (pan with a thick base) with 1 tablespoon of ghee and add Jungle Taystee Wheat.
- Gently fry the Jungle Taystee Wheat until it turns golden or light brown. Once the colour has changed, add in the grated coconut.
- Once the Jungle Taystee Wheat (Soji) is cooked, remove it from the heat and transfer it to a bowl.
- Then to that bowl, add sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, and chopped cranberries or pecan nuts. Mix everything thoroughly and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
Now the outer pastry shell/casing
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt and 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee. Add the cold milk gradually to make a firm ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into equal portions, dust in flour and roll them out into two-inch diameter flattened rotis. Place them in a calzone maker and place a portion of the filling in the hollow centre part.
- Apply a little milk to the edges, close the calzone maker and press firmly.
- Deep fry in the ghee or cooking oil to your liking and place it on absorbent tissue paper to cool. Then enjoy.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Nothing says’ celebration like cake pops. Bianca Naidoo‘s Indian twist on the everyday vanilla cake pop has a second twist to it. Her Soji cake is made from Taystee Wheat instead of Soji (semolina). Kershnee Kallee, Marketing Manager at Jungle, […]
Tasty Semolina Gujiya – also known as Taystee Half Moons – recipe by Derusha Naidoo. Derusha shared that this is a recipe her mother passed on to her, but she has added her own twist when it comes to the fillings.
There are few things as decadent as roses and chocolates. This traditional Indian chocolate cake is the perfect celebratory food and one of the very few mays to make a chocolate cake even better. Ingredients 4-liter full-fat milk 1 tsp. […]
This delicious Indian snack is the perfect on the go comfort food. It is wholesome delicious and packed with nutrients making it not only the perfect finger food but also a great lunchbox snack. Ingredients 2 cups/500ml yellow […]
Gulab Jumn are an Indian dessert also popular Nepal, Pakistan, the Maldives, and Bangladesh. They are typically a celebratory food, perfect for Diwali and other festive celebrations. Tuck into these rose flavoured balls of happiness for a taste like no other.
Please rate this recipe
Recipe by Derusha Naidoo