Delicious stuffed roast tomatoes make a great side dish or snack for the whole family.
- 4 large firm tomatoes
- 200g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15ml tomato purée
- 1 small brinjal, finely chopped
- 100ml fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 50ml breadcrumbs
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Using a sharp knife, remove the tops from the tomatoes as if you were making a lid. Using a spoon, remove the flesh and seeds from the centres, chop finely and reserve.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry the onion, garlic and celery until tender but not browned. Add all the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Fill each tomato with the stuffing. Top with Parmesan and arrange tomatoes snugly in an ovenproof dish. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and place under a heated grill until the cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve warm, and chopped.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Chickpeas, lentils and beans – oh my! Get your little ones to eat healthily with these tasty recipes that make the most of pulses and legumes.
Keep your healthy-eating New Year’s resolutions tasty and exciting! With this fresh and tasty mango and quinoa Buddha bowl, the perfect balance between savoury and sweet.
This roast stuffed tomato recipe is simple and easy to make. Serve it as a meal on its own or as a side dish at a braai.
These sweetcorn and avo fritters are great for a light lunch or dinner.
Potatoes are also perfect for a mid-week meal that’s sure to satisfy the whole family. Here’s how to make the perfect baked potato
Please rate this recipe
Recipe by Marwan Al Sayed