Beauty, brains and a taste for aromatic curry, Limpopo born Miss SA hopeful, Shudufhadzo Musida is currently studying towards an honours degree in international relations
“I am passionate about the economic and educational empowerment of women and children,” says Shudufhadzo. Shudufhadzo shared the recipe for her favourite chicken curry with us; she’s definitely spicing up our lives.
The secret to the best chicken curry
There are many ways to make a chicken curry, but the easiest way to make a delicious chicken curry and that is with chicken thighs and not chicken breasts.
Chicken breasts are a tempting choice because they are boneless and easy to cut up into perfect portions, however, they can become dry with extended cooking times.
When using chicken breasts you need to take extra precautions to make sure your chicken pieces don’t dry out like soaking them in brine a day before cooking or deep marinating them and flash cooking the chicken with precooked ingredients instead of stewing the curry for long periods.
How to serve chicken curry
Chicken curry is traditionally served with basmati rice, naan bread, roti or potatoes however pap is the perfect South African accompaniment for curry marrying two cultures that are already so beautifully intertwined.Which is one of the thing Shudufhadzo loves so much about South Africa when asked for her Miss SA entry, “the cultures, the food, the people – the people are everything. Also, our ability to love and
find joy in the darkest of times,” she said.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Shudufhdzo Musida’s aromatic chicken curry recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter,divided into separate pieces
- 1kg boneless/skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 340g chopped tomatoes
- 100g tomato paste
- 2 cups cream
- salt & pepper
- Coriander for garnishing
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then add batches of the chicken stirring so each side is browned. They do not need to be fully cooked all the way through. Set aside when done.
- Melt another 2 tbsp butter in the pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until it starts to soften and go translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic, garam masala, ginger, chilli powder, cumin, and cayenne and stir to combine. Cook for about 45 seconds before adding the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let cook for five minutes before adding the cream. Bring the mixture back to a simmer on a low heat, add the browned chicken and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready, garnish with chopped coriander and serve with naan or cooked basmati rice
Miss South Africa 2020 Final details
Miss South Africa 2020 will be crowned at a spectacular and entertainment-packed event – which takes place on Saturday, October 24, from 17h00 – and which will be screened live on M-Net and Mzansi Magic and streamed for an international audience.
Miss South Africa is presented by Weil Entertainment in association with M-Net, Mzansi Magic, Sun International and Brand South Africa.
- Facebook: com/MsSouthAfrica
- Twitter: @Official_MissSA
- Instagram: @official_misssa
- YouTube: com/TheMissSAPageant
- Hashtags #MissSA2020 #ForTheLoveOfCT #FaceYourPower #EmbraceYourFuture
Please rate this recipe
Miss SA top10 finalist: Shudufhdzo Musida