Last updated on Oct 25th, 2020 at 11:09 am
Beauty, brains and a taste for aromatic curry, Limpopo born Miss SA 2020, Shudufhadzo Musida is currently studying towards an honours degree in international relations
“I am passionate about the economic and educational empowerment of women and children,” says Shudufhadzo. Shudufhadzo shared the recipe for her favourite chicken curry with us; she’s definitely spicing up our lives.
The secret to the best chicken curry
There are many ways to make a chicken curry, but the easiest way to make a delicious chicken curry and that is with chicken thighs and not chicken breasts.
Chicken breasts are a tempting choice because they are boneless and easy to cut up into perfect portions, however, they can become dry with extended cooking times.
When using chicken breasts you need to take extra precautions to make sure your chicken pieces don’t dry out like soaking them in brine a day before cooking or deep marinating them and flash cooking the chicken with precooked ingredients instead of stewing the curry for long periods.
How to serve chicken curry
Chicken curry is traditionally served with basmati rice, naan bread, roti or potatoes however pap is the perfect South African accompaniment for curry marrying two cultures that are already so beautifully intertwined.Which is one of the thing Shudufhadzo loves so much about South Africa when asked for her Miss SA entry, “the cultures, the food, the people – the people are everything. Also, our ability to love and
find joy in the darkest of times,” she said.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Shudufhdzo Musida’s aromatic chicken curry recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter,divided into separate pieces
- 1kg boneless/skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 340g chopped tomatoes
- 100g tomato paste
- 2 cups cream
- salt & pepper
- Coriander for garnishing
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then add batches of the chicken stirring so each side is browned. They do not need to be fully cooked all the way through. Set aside when done.
- Melt another 2 tbsp butter in the pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until it starts to soften and go translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic, garam masala, ginger, chilli powder, cumin, and cayenne and stir to combine. Cook for about 45 seconds before adding the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let cook for five minutes before adding the cream. Bring the mixture back to a simmer on a low heat, add the browned chicken and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready, garnish with chopped coriander and serve with naan or cooked basmati rice
Last updated on Oct 25th, 2020 at 11:09 amFormer Miss SA and Miss USN Fitness Busisiwe Mmotla is a teacher and down to earth Kasi girl with a passion for family and community development. She’s a senior phase and FET […]
Miss SA top 10 finalist Natasha Joubert shares her recipe for succulent roast chicken…
Last updated on Oct 25th, 2020 at 11:09 am24-year-old marketing associate Aphelele Mbiyo is passionate about women empowerment and dreams of starting her own academy for girls A definite people’s person, Aphelele loves hosting foodie gatherings and socialising over good […]
Melissa’s idombolo recipe made with eggs is adapted from the Asian steamed bun recipe and can make one large bun to share (like idombolo) or individual buns.
Karishma’s spicy and comforting curry hits all the right notes and is full of aromatic flavours
Last updated on Oct 25th, 2020 at 11:09 amDr Thato Mosehle is literally a life saver, completing her internship at a Klerksdorp hospital where she has been on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic Her other passions include beauty […]
Last updated on Oct 25th, 2020 at 11:09 am24-year-old Miss SA hopeful Lebogang Mahlangu’s spicy Nacho recipe is the perfect quick and easy snack to make for a movie marathon Although nachos are usually thrown into the junk food category, […]
Shudufhadzo. Shudufhadzo shared the recipe for her favourite chicken curry with us; she’s definitely spicing up our lives…
Miss SA Top 10: Chantelle Pretorius shares her “Go-To Granola” recipe – healthy & tasty!
Please rate this recipe
Miss SA top10 finalist: Shudufhdzo Musida