24-year-old marketing associate Aphelele Mbiyo is passionate about women empowerment and dreams of starting her own academy for girls
A definite people’s person, Aphelele loves hosting foodie gatherings and socialising over good food and conversation. “I love to host dinner parties as I enjoy bringing people together over good food. When I am lying low, I put on a great series and I listen to stories about how people have overcome; talks to refuel me for the week and keep me full inside. I also enjoy finding hidden gems from nature, restaurants and markets,” says Aphelele
Can you make butter chicken healthier?
Butter chicken is a creamy, delicious and comforting treat. Although it really does pack in the fat and the calories, it makes a great cheat meal or treat-meal.
One way of making butter chicken healthier is trading out some of the ingredients for healthier alternatives using low-fat coconut milk and low-fat yoghurt then cutting out the butter completely Aphelele’s butter chicken recipes keeps all the rich and creamy deliciousness of butter chicken while cutting down on some of the fat and calories the meal traditionally brings to the table.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely minced or grated (or use paste)
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely minced or crushed
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Paktaks Original Curry Paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or paprika, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ tin of coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cream or low-fat yoghurt
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, butter, and onions and cook onions down until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and let cook for 30 seconds, stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the chicken, tomato paste, curry paste, coconut milk and spices. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- Add the cream/yoghurt and simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cooked Basmati rice and/or with naan.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Please rate this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Miss SA and Aphelele Mbiyo