Who doesn’t love potatoes? Their starchy goodness can cure a bad day with just one bite.
Plus potatoes are so versatile. What would a braai be without potato salad? And a roast dinner can’t be complete without some perfectly roasted potatoes.
Potatoes are also perfect for a mid-week meal that’s sure to satisfy the whole family. Top them off with a quick tomato sauce, or some creamy chicken, or left-over Bolognese mince. Don’t forget the cheese.
So how do you make the perfect roast potato?
We found this recipe from iconic businesswoman, author, and entrepreneur, Martha Stewart. She shared the method on her Instagram account, and it’s sure to be a winner.
While we don’t have the Yukon gold in South Africa, there are a number of cultivars which would be suitable (get the lowdown on the types of potatoes found in SA HERE). Check the packaging on your potatoes and choose one that’s best suited for baking.
Larger sizes are best for full meals, while smaller potatoes are great for side dishes and potato salads.
Here’s how Martha Stewart recommends you should bake your potatoes:
- Thoroughly wash and dry 4 potatoes. Prick each in a few spots with a fork. Brush with extra-virgin olive oil and season with kosher salt
- Roast them slowly at 160 degrees Celsius for an hour and a half
- When they come out of the oven, pick up each potato and smash it straight down on the counter just hard enough to break up and fluff the interior without completely breaking all the skin
- Open with fingers and top with butter
- Salt and pepper. And creme fraiche or sour cream
- Chopped dill or parsley is a nice touch
- Eat piping hot
View this post on Instagram
Potatoes and spiced baked eggs
For another delicious family meal made with potatoes, watch the video below for simple “Potatoes and spiced baked eggs” by the potato growers of South Africa:
You might also like: