Keep your healthy-eating New Year’s resolutions tasty and exciting! With this fresh and tasty mango and quinoa Buddha bowl, the perfect balance between savoury and sweet.
· 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
· 1 ½ cups water
· 1 bunch kale, stems removed and very finely diced
· 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
· ½ English cucumber, diced
· 80g sugar snap peas
· 2 large mangoes, pitted and diced
· ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
For lemon basil dressing:
· ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
· ¼ cup olive oil
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
· 1 teaspoon honey (or agave nectar)
· 4 – 6 large basil leaves, very finely diced
· Freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste
1. First, cook the quinoa: Add quinoa and water to a medium pot and place over high heat; bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer quinoa to a large bowl to cool down.
2. To make the dressing: place olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, Dijon, honey (or substitute agave syrup for honey), basil, and salt and pepper in a blender. Pulse for 10 – 15 seconds; set aside. You can also whisk in a small bowl if you don’t have a blender (just make sure your basil is very finely chopped).
3. In a large bowl add the kale and pour half of the dressing over. Use clean hands to massage the kale for about 3 minutes or until it breaks down. This allows the kale to take on the dressing flavours.
4. Next add in quinoa, cucumber, grapes, sugar snap peas, and remaining lemon vinaigrette; toss so that the salad is fully coated.
5. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over the top and serve.