Last updated on Feb 5th, 2021 at 09:35 am
Whether you’re vegetarian, cutting out meat for a while or just looking for a low-carb healthy meal for your family, you don’t have to miss out on the burger action, which foodies around the world have turned into a gourmet trend.
Made with a high content of farm fresh mushrooms, onions and a hint of aromatic garlic, the new Denny Mushroom Burgers are available in two variants: Original and Crumbed. Both are seasoned with herbs and spices.
Here’s how to make a healthy burger the whole family can enjoy, without compromising on taste:
- ¾ cup baby spinach leaves, rinsed and cleaned
- 1 tsp salted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 low-carb almond burger bun
- 1 Denny Original Mushroom Burger patty
- Oil, for frying
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice red onion
For the low-carb almond burger bun (makes 4):
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed flour
- 4 tbsp psyllium husk
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 5 large egg whites, plus 1 large egg, beaten, for brushing
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 125ml warm water
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, white or black, or a combination thereof
For the low-carb burger buns:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, except the sesame seeds, and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, gently whisk the egg whites and the vinegar together, then add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add the warm water and continue whisking until the mixture thickens.
- Shape into four equal-sized rolls, brush with the beaten egg, then sprinkle the sesame seeds equally on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until lightly browned, then remove and set aside to cool.
For the health burger:
- Sautée the spinach in butter along with some seasoning and nutmeg.
- When wilted, add the crumbled feta, then set aside.
- Cut the burger roll in half lengthways, lightly butter both sides and toast in a frying pan, then set aside.
- Fry the Original Mushroom Burger in the same pan with a little oil for 3 minutes, then turn and fry for a further 3½ minutes over low heat.
- Turn once more, place cheese slice on top, and fry for a further 30 seconds, or until the cheese starts to melt.
- Place your Original Mushroom Burger with melted cheese on the bottom part of the roll, followed by the sautéed spinach, feta and sliced onion. Top with the remaining burger bun and serve.
Denny Mushroom Burgers are available in the frozen foods section of all major retailers for R39.99.
* Recipe developed for Denny by chef Jason Whitehead