“South Africa’s culinary princess” Lorna Maseko is not only a passionate Celebrity Chef she’s also an Executive Producer, a Choreographer, a bubbly Master of Ceremonies and the Managing Director of a few businesses. She’s also an exceptional ballet dancer!
She grew up in the township of Alexandra, which she says inspired her passion for empowerment and love for the culinary arts.
Did you know?
Lorna started dancing ballet at the age of nine. In an interview with Vodacom, she said “Becoming a ballet dancer was quite an interesting journey for my parents and me because we knew nothing about it, so we went into this ‘thing’ completely blind. It was self-discovery for all of us and the good thing was that I happened to be good at it, which was fantastic. Ballet allowed me to travel the world and see things that I would not have normally seen as a child growing up in a township.”
“It inspired me to want to be better, to achieve my dreams and goals. I realised the world was so big and I was able to achieve things because I was being introduced to a world I would never have known.”
She first appeared on South African screens during the first Top Billing Presenter Search. She was selected for the top 10, and the experience “opened many doors” for Maseko after that.
Food, glorious food!
While she’s always been passionate about food, her star power really came to the fore when she too part in Celebrity Master Chef and reached the Top 6! It was this achievement that inspired her to explore the gourmet world further, and put together her first cookbook – Celebrate with Lorna Maseko!
LEARN MORE ABOUT LORNA MASEKO HERE:
Lorna shared her mouth-watering recipe for juicy pork chops with crunchy radicchio & apple salad with All4Women:
Pork and apples are one of the food world’s oldest and most famous couples. The crisp and fresh acidity in the apples is the perfect accompaniment for the rich meatiness of pork.
In her recipes from her award winning book Celebrate with Lorna Maseko, Lorna deconstructs the traditional meal and elevates the sweet and tangy apple salad with doses of spicy and bitter radicchio.
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 1 tbs sugar
- handful of chopped chives
- 3 radicchios, cut into halves
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 100 g mild blue cheese
- 4 pork chops
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of walnuts for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, yoghurt, vinegar, sugar and chives and mix well.
- Place the halved radicchios on a platter and arrange the apple slices to your liking.
- To complete the sauce, add the milk and blue cheese to a pot. Heat until the cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool and then add the cheese sauce to the buttermilk mixture. Fold in.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and cook in a griddle pan for 4 minutes on each side.
- Assemble on the same platter as the apples and radicchios and garnish with walnuts.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Please rate this recipe
Recipe and Image from Celebrate with Lorna Maseko Available in book stores and online For R360.