Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:01 pm
Serves approximately 4
Cooking time: 60-75 minutes
- 500 g Lamb, Cubes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 100 g Flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 g McCain Chef’s Solution Diced Onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup celery and leek, chopped
- 50 g tomato paste
- 100 ml Red Wine (*Optional)
- 1 Lt Beef stock
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 5 sprigs Rosemary
- Small Handful Parsley
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 500 g McCain Stew Mix
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 25-50 ml egg wash (equal amount egg and milk)
- Season the lamb cubes with salt and pepper and dust with the flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pot over high heat and seal the lamb in batches until golden brown. Remove and keep aside to use later.
- In the same pot add the McCain Chef’s Solution Diced Onion, garlic, celery and leek, and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with the red wine, add the beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the lamb cubes, rosemary, parsley, bay leaf and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to low and simmer until the lamb is soft, but not falling apart.
- Remove from heat, stir in the McCain Stew Mix, season with salt and pepper and allow to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out the puff pastry and cut disks big enough to line a pie dish.
- Divide the pie filling between the pie dishes and top with the pastry lid.
- Brush with egg wash and cut a small hole in the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and golden brown.
Recipe development and testing by HTA Culinary School on behalf of McCain
This is the mix used for the pot pie. Available at all major retailers.