Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:16 pm
When is the last time you had a jaffel? Your kids will love this old favourite for a light lunch!
*Makes 10 jaffels
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250ml beef stock
- 500g mince
- 7g (sachet) of Raja mild and spicy curry powder
- 1 x small tin of tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 20 slices of white or brown bread.
- Mrs Balls chutney
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic; stir-fry lightly for 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown. Add the mince and Raja curry powder.
- Stir-fry for another 5 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, potato chunks, peas and stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer slowly for about 20 – 25 minutes or until sauce has reduced by one third.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the bread with butter and place buttered side on the jaffel pan.
- Add spoonful’s of the mince mixture on the bread and a dollop of chutney on top of the mince. Place another slice of bread on top and close. Remember to cut off edges.
- Fry over high heat (if you’re camping, it will be hot coals or over high heat on the stove) for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve hot.