Last updated on Jan 27th, 2021 at 09:22 am
Herbed lamb ribs
Small lamb ribs are always a finger-licking winner, especially when done on the braai. Add some spice with the new gluten-free Cape Herb & Spice Tastebud Herbed spice packed with thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram, coriander, ginger and loads of other good things. We used it as a dry rub for our lamb ribs, and to make a basting sauce. Serve with vine tomatoes and lemons.
* Serves two
- 800g lamb ribs
- Cape Herb & Spice Tastebud Herbed spice blend
- 3 tbs tomato sauce
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs runny honey
- Dust the lamb ribs with the Cape Herb & Spice Tastebud Herbed spice blend and set aside for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Brush the ribs lightly with olive oil and place on a hot braai, or under the grill element of your oven. Turn often and cook until done to your liking.
- Mix together the tomato sauce, lemon juice, honey and half a teaspoon of the herbed spice blend and generously paint the ribs for the final 15 minutes of cooking (if you do it earlier, the basting sauce will burn).
- Serve immediately.
Savoury potato pizza with rocket and pecorino
This potato pizza has no tomato base and zero cheese, so it’s kinder to the waistline and everyone will love it. This is pizza at its simplest. We stuck to the basics with the usual pizza dough, olive oil, potatoes and rosemary, but added some exciting flavouring to it with Cape Herb & Spice Tastebud Savoury spice. Add some wild rocket leaves, with olive oil and lemon, and a little black pepper and pecorino shavings to make it a meal on its own.
*Makes 4 medium potato pizzas
For the pizza dough
- 400g bread flour
- 100g semolina
- 1 packet (10g) instant yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 260ml lukewarm water
- 40ml milk
- 1 tsp honey
For the toppings
- 1kg baby potatoes, sliced as thinly as possible using a mandolin
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Garlic-flavoured olive oil
- Cape Herb & Spice Savoury spice
- Mix the flour, semolina, yeast and salt. Gradually add water and mix. Add milk and honey to the last bit of water and add to the dough. Knead for 12 minutes.
- Put the dough in a large, clean bowl brushed with olive oil, cover with cling film and a tea towel and put in a nice warm spot for an hour to an hour and a half until the dough has doubled in size.
- Knock it back to remove all the air, cut into 4 equal pieces and shape into balls. (Top tip: You can cover the dough balls in cling film at this point and place them in your fridge for use later in the day or the next day. You could also freeze it. To use, simply allow it to thaw in the fridge.)
- While the bread proves, parboil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until just tender.
- Drain, dry and toss the potatoes with a generous glug of olive oil so everything is well coated.
- To assemble the potato pizza, roll out the dough on a sheet of non-stick baking paper.
- Brush with garlic-flavoured oil.
- Pack with potatoes, dust with Cape Herb & Spice Savoury Tastebud Savoury spice and sprinkle generously with rosemary leaves. Grind over black pepper and give it a final tiny splash of olive oil.
- Place the pizza with the baking paper (this makes it so much easier to handle) on a preheated non-stick baking tray or a hot pizza stone and bake at 200°C for 10 to 15 minutes, until done.
- Drizzle a bit of lemon juice and olive oil over the rocket, give it a grinding of black pepper and pile onto the potato pizza along with a few shaving of parmesan or pecorino.
- Tuck in right away while it’s warm.