Chicken soup is great for winter. It’s easy to make and the ingredients are economical. It’ll warm you up and this is a soup that is known to help keep winter colds away.
You can order most of the ingredients from Yebo Fresh, a Cape Town-based online retailer that delivers anywhere within 40km of the Cape Town CBD.
- 2 large onions, cut into slices
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 sticks celery, washed and cut into small pieces
- 2 vegetable or chicken cubes
- 2,5 litres cold water
- 500g – 1 kg mixed chicken necks, livers and/or gizzards
- Pepper to taste
- Saute onions in oil until they become translucent. Add celery sticks (not leaves) that have been cut into thin slices/rounds.
- Peel and grate carrots. Add to pot.
- Add cold water.
- Add chicken necks, gizzards, livers.
- Add celery leaves.
- Bring to the boil.
- Allow to boil until chicken is cooked through. About 45 minutes to one hour.
- Add more stock and/or salt to taste.
“The quantity of chicken pieces is up to you,” says Faith Depa, Head of Customer Experience at Yebo Fresh. “If you add more chicken pieces, this can be served as a meal, rather than just a soup starter.”