Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:04 pm
Chips, potato wedges, mash, roast potatoes, potato bake, hash browns – these are the most common dishes potatoes are used for in South African homes.
But, have you thought about using potatoes to make a dessert? Using potatoes to make sweet treats is becoming a huge trend.
Make these mashed potato truffles and see what you think:
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 200g chocolate chips
- ½ cup coating of choice such as cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts or desiccated coconut (or all three)
- Place the chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl and melt in the microwave at 50% power.
- When they have melted entirely, stir in the mashed potatoes.
- Add the vanilla and stir well.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once firm, take tablespoon-sized scoops and roll them into a ball with your hands.
- Roll in your desired topping, then place on a baking sheet and refrigerate.
- They will keep in the fridge for a week.
Try them – you’ll be amazed at how delicious they are.
*Recipe by Rachel Lynch