Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:05 pm
This comforting tomato soup can be made in less than 20 minutes and enjoyed by both you and your toddler. Don’t forget to make the cheesy bread dippers – it’s sure to be the part that’s the most fun for your toddler!
This meal is suitable for toddlers 12 months+.
*Makes 4 small and 2 adult servings.
Ingredients for soup:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth/vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Pepper to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt
Ingredients for cheesy bread dippers:
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 tbs butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp Italian spice mix
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, broth, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can make the cheesy bread dippers. Heat the oven to a broil and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Butter or oil one side of the bread and place it (butter side up) on the baking sheet. Broil until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, carefully flip the bread over and sprinkle the non-cooked side with cheese and Italian spice mix. Place back under the broiler and heat until cheese is golden brown.
- Let cool and then cut into 5cm strips.
- When the soup is done, add the yoghurt and using a blender or hand immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Let soup cool slightly and then serve the soup with the cheesy bread dippers.
*Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Recipe by Happy Family Organics.