Ice cream making is often made out to be a complicated and almost science experiment like affair, but it doesn’t have to be. With a few tricks up your sleeve and the right ingredients in your cupboard, you can whip up a rich and creamy ice cream your family will love at breakfast and be ready to serve by lunchtime with minimal effort.
Inspired by the much lover Peppermint Crisp tart, this Peppermint Crisp ice-cream has all the delicious caramel and mint flavours of the tart and an extra dash of creamy decadence from the custard and the whipped cream.
A twist on a classic
The Peppermint Crisp tart is a South African favourite and for all the right reasons. The crisp coolness of peppermint is the perfect balance for the richness of caramel. While it stays sweet a little spiciness is the perfect substitute for acidity in a creamy decadent dessert. Like Chillie is to dark chocolate, peppermint is to caramel.
- 1 can (360g) Nestlé caramel treat dairy dessert mint
- 2 cups (500ml) readymade fresh custard
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla paste
- 2 cups (500ml) cream, whipped
- 2 Peppermint Crisp chocolate bars (60g each), roughly chopped
- Place the caramel, custard and vanilla paste into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream and half of the Peppermint crisp shards.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Transfer the ice cream to the fridge 10 minutes before serving, to soften slightly. Serve in cones or bowls, topping with the remaining Peppermint crisp pieces.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Get creative with the kids and make the tasty rice crispy sweet treats. The perfect occasional lunch box treat.
Fruit smoothies are a healthier alternative to cold drinks and sweetened juices, and even more delicious.
Get creative in the kitchen with the kids with these delicious and spicy ginger cookies. The perfect teat time snack!
Get the kids in the kitchen to help you make these yummy biscuits and scones. They’ll go down very well if you’re hosting a tea at your house for friends and family.
The ultimate in decadence with this recipe for Dark Chocolate Mousse cake with cloud frosting. #Baking #ChocolateMousseCake
Please rate this recipe
Recipe and image courtesy of Nestlé