Last updated on Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:13 am
It might not be winter just yet, but this long spell of rainy weather definitely calls for some comfort food.
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- 500ml chicken stock
- 500ml low-fat milk
- 1 whole chicken, cooked and shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Lightly fry the leeks and mushrooms, and set aside.
- Make a white sauce (roux) with the butter, flour and milk. Once the mixture has thickened, add the chicken stock.
- Remove from the heat and add the mushrooms, leeks and cooked chicken.
- Grease a large dish and layer 4 sheets of phylo pastry, brushing each piece with olive oil and reserving 2 sheets for the top.
- Place the chicken mixture into the dish, and fold the overhanging pieces of pastry over the top.
- Place the last two pieces of phylo over the top, scrunching them slightly to make it look more appealing.
- Cook for about 40 minutes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Chicken soup is great for winter. It’s easy to make and the ingredients are economical. It’ll warm you up and this is a soup that is known to help keep winter colds away.
Mozambican Paprika is one of Nando’s milder, and more adventurous flavours described as “delightfully mild and slightly smoky!
Waffles are such a versatile food, you could have them for breakfast lunch, supper and even dessert. Topped with just about anything, a good basic waffle recipe should be a part of every home cooks arsenal.
What better way to celebrate world waffle day than making and tucking into your favourite waffles at home?
Quick, easy and delicious is what most people look for in a weekday family meal. Keeping it budget-friendly too makes this quiche a definite winner.
People generally eat more fish around Easter time. While the tradition is rooted in religion, it has also become a part of our culinary culture and we love it.
Fish is a healthy source of protein and nutrients. It is tasty and versatile too. This easy fish bake or braai is a delicious addition to your easter menu.