Going low carb but miss your favourite potato dishes? Try this comforting cauliflower mash cottage pie
- Olive oil
- 500g extra-lean beef or ostrich mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic (optional), chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 courgette, chopped
- ½ cup lentils, cooked
- 200ml tomato purée
- 200ml low-salt beef stock
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 250g cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 50g grated Cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Fry the meat in the olive oil until lightly browned, drain and set aside.
- Gently fry the onion, garlic, carrot and courgette until the veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the tomatoes and the fresh parsley, pour in the stock and add the lamb back to the pan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes and add the cauliflower florets, cooking for another 5 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes together with the cauliflower, slowly adding the milk and butter as you do so, until smooth.
- Spoon the meat mixture into an oven dish (or use small dishes to make individual shepherd’s pies).
- Spoon or pipe the mashed potato mixture on top, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden
Great news moms – you can throw out those cauliflower pizza bases and unpin those elaborate almond and oat flour bread recipes from Facebook. We found an easier way for you to cut down on carbs!
A quick and easy low carb recipe for butter chicken, perfect for a weekday dinner …
Delicious budget friendly recipe for spicy Bacon Chicken Livers with Cauliflower Mash Ingredients 1 Tbsp olive oil 1 Tbsp butter 400g fresh chicken livers 1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped 100g bacon, chopped 1 fresh chilli, de-seeded and finely […]
Zatar Chicken with an Alkalizing salad is perfect for anyone concerned with the acidity of their diet. Perfect for packing for lunch on the go or picnics.
A filling, low carb recipe for crustless chicken and bacon quiche – an easy midweek dinner idea…