A delicious Portuguese chicken recipe best served with the Brown Rice Salad with Salsa Verde Dressing
For the Chicken Espetadas
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (with skin)
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 1 fresh pineapple, quartered and then sliced into 2x2cm pieces
For the Madeira and Red Onion Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Willow Creek olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½-1 cup madeira
- 1 Tbsp honey
1. For the Madeira Sauce.
Add the olive oil and butter to a medium sized pot, when the butter starts to foam, add in the onions and cook for 10 minutes or until softened and starting to caramelise. Add in the garlic and bay leaves and cook for another minute. Add in the madeira and leave the sauce to simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened and quite sticky.
2. Meanwhile, halve the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper and divide the pieces between the bamboo skewers, adding in pieces of pineapple in between the chicken pieces
3. Baste the chicken with the madeira sauce until well coated, then place over hot coals or a very hot griddle pan and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through, turning from time to time and re-basting.
4. Remove from the heat and allow to rest before serving alongside the rice salad bowls.
Please rate this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Food and cooking author, blogger and TV host Sandra Graham