Bunny chow is a traditional curry dish that originated in Durban. Served as a builder’s lunch. Half a loaf of hollowed-out bread filled with curry. A quick and easy way to feed 4 people.
Turn this hearty and delicious meal into a cute kiddies meal with simple decorations. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a happier meal.
- 4 chicken breast fillets or use half a pre-cooked supermarket chicken
- ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Creamy Curry Sauce or Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 long French loaf, cut into 4 equal pieces
- 4 small lettuce or baby spinach leaves
- cucumber strips for the ears
- large raisins for the eyes
- half cherry tomato for the nose
- half a carrot ring for the mouth
- flaked almonds for teeth
- chives for the whiskers
- If using a cooked supermarket chicken, no further cooking is needed. Just remove the skin and bones and cut the chicken into small blocks.
- Raw chicken fillets must be seasoned with Chicken Spice. Lay them flat in a single layer in a frying pan with a lid.
- Dissolve the Liquid Chicken Stock in the boiling water and pour it into the pan on the side so as not to wash the seasoning off the chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cover with a lid, and simmer slowly for 5 minutes only.
- Turn the breasts over, replace the lid, remove from the heat, and leave to stand for another 7 minutes. This gentle method is ideal for cooking chicken breasts. Cooked this way they will never be dry or tough.
- Remove the lid from the pan and slice the chicken first across the grain and then into cubes. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the Creamy Curry Sauce and Tomato Pesto. Toss to mix.
- Hollow out the lengths of French loaf leaving about 2 cm of bread at the bottom of each one for a base. Give the base a waterproof lining with small lettuce or baby spinach leaf. Fill the hollowed-out bread with the chicken filling.
Garnish as per picture if desired.
Enjoy a delicious bunny chow!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Give your daily dose of calcium and probiotics a delicious summertime twist buy throwing it into popsicle moulds with your favourite fruit.
Spice up your morning and put a zing in your day with these delicious burritos. Serve with a chilled glass of Rhodes Quality Pineapple 100% juice.
Nothing says’ celebration like cake pops. Bianca Naidoo‘s Indian twist on the everyday vanilla cake pop has a second twist to it. Her Soji cake is made from Taystee Wheat instead of Soji (semolina). Kershnee Kallee, Marketing Manager at Jungle, […]
Turn everyday bread into a healthy and delicious snack perfect for lunchboxes, picnics and hiking trips.
This is the perfect ice cream for the festive season. It’s seasonal enough to be served on a special occasion but also simple enough to be loved by almost everyone.
Please rate this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Ina Paarman