Bunny chow is a traditional curry dish that originated in Durban. Served as a builder’s lunch. Half a loaf of hollowed-out bread filled with curry. A quick and easy way to feed 4 people.
Turn this hearty and delicious meal into a cute kiddies meal with simple decorations. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a happier meal.
- 4 chicken breast fillets or use half a pre-cooked supermarket chicken
- ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Creamy Curry Sauce or Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 long French loaf, cut into 4 equal pieces
- 4 small lettuce or baby spinach leaves
- cucumber strips for the ears
- large raisins for the eyes
- half cherry tomato for the nose
- half a carrot ring for the mouth
- flaked almonds for teeth
- chives for the whiskers
- If using a cooked supermarket chicken, no further cooking is needed. Just remove the skin and bones and cut the chicken into small blocks.
- Raw chicken fillets must be seasoned with Chicken Spice. Lay them flat in a single layer in a frying pan with a lid.
- Dissolve the Liquid Chicken Stock in the boiling water and pour it into the pan on the side so as not to wash the seasoning off the chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cover with a lid, and simmer slowly for 5 minutes only.
- Turn the breasts over, replace the lid, remove from the heat, and leave to stand for another 7 minutes. This gentle method is ideal for cooking chicken breasts. Cooked this way they will never be dry or tough.
- Remove the lid from the pan and slice the chicken first across the grain and then into cubes. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the Creamy Curry Sauce and Tomato Pesto. Toss to mix.
- Hollow out the lengths of French loaf leaving about 2 cm of bread at the bottom of each one for a base. Give the base a waterproof lining with small lettuce or baby spinach leaf. Fill the hollowed-out bread with the chicken filling.
Garnish as per picture if desired.
Enjoy a delicious bunny chow!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
These will definitely cool the kids down on a hot day!
These whole wheat mince baskets by SASKO are a great way to switch up mince toast and can be filled with leftover mince from the night before. Serve them as a healthy lunch option at home or pack them up for a picnic at the park.
It’s much cheaper to make your own trail mix. Mix and match to suite your taste.
Chickpeas, lentils and beans – oh my! Get your little ones to eat healthily with these tasty recipes that make the most of pulses and legumes.
No one wants to slave away in the kitchen all day, especially when you still have a million other things to do before the kids get home from school. Try these yummy sandwich fillings for a quick and filling lunch or dinner idea!
Please rate this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Ina Paarman