A haddock recipe, full of flavour, nutritious, easy to make and absolutely Sibalicious! By South African chef Siba Mtongana
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons wheat (cake) flour
- 625ml warm low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon fish spice (fish seasoning)
- Flaked sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 60ml grated parmesan cheese, optional
- 60ml grated mozzarella cheese, plus 30 ml extra
- 60ml grated mature cheddar cheese, plus 30 ml extra
- 500g fresh or frozen MSC certified haddock, cut into chunks
- 400g long stem broccoli stems
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. For the sauce: in a large non-stick saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the flour a little at a time to create a roux. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the warm milk. Place back on the heat and continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes, still whisking. Season the fish with spice, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
- Switch off the stove and add the different cheeses, stir until melted. Pour the sauce into an oven-proof baking dish.
- Place the thawed and pat-dried haddock chunks on top of the sauce followed by broccoli stems. Lightly season the broccoli with a pinch of salt. Sprinkle with the extra cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until fish is cooked and sauce is golden and bubbling. Serve with fresh dill and lime wedges and starch of your choice (such as crusty bread, potatoes or fries).
Choose sustainable seafood, understand what is on your plate and enjoy cooking in the knowledge you are helping to build a #BigBlueFuture. Visit our Blue CookBook at the
Please rate this recipe
Recipe by Siba Mtongana Courtesy of MSC and The Blue CookBook