Last updated on Jan 14th, 2021 at 04:14 pm
Most South Africans are united by our love of braaing. It is not just about the food (although that is important), but it is also a great way to spend a day with family and friends. Here’s how to make sure you have the best Braai Day ever with our round up of quick and easy recipes for braai snacks, salads sides and of course dessert.
Snacks before the braai
Can you even call yourself South African if you don’t have some local and lekker chips? We’d love to settle this debate once for and all so please vote in our poll below.
Other great crowd-pleasing snacks include biltong, popcorn and dips to go with chips and crisp veggies.
5 easy & delicious veggie dips for kids that adults will love too
Other delicious quick and easy dips include:
- Mix a tub of cottage cheese with sweet chilli sauce. This is really simple but it will impress your friends.
- Buy ready-made pesto or make your own to go with nachos.
- Buy hummus and serve with cut up veggies like carrots or celery (Woolies makes a great red pepper hummus).
Braai Salads & Sides
While the meat is the main attraction, a braai isn’t really one without a delicious selection of salads and sides. Here’s our pick of essential braai salad and sides.
This South African favourite can be made using stale bread and the fillings are up to you. Watch the video below for ideas (plus there is even a dessert braaibroodjie).
15 Braai Salads to make for your next braai (now the only challenge will be deciding which ones to make).
For a quick coleslaw, buy ready-cut cabbage and carrots and then mix equal parts mayo and double cream plain yoghurt and salt and pepper and add to the veggies. If you have time, buy the cabbage and carrots whole and use a food processor.
A warm potato salad recipe
If you’re looking for a low-carb alternative to potato salad, then this cauliflower version is it.
Cauliflower Potato Salad is the low-carb way to eat your favorite summer side. Full recipe: http://dlsh.it/P4ju605
Posted by Delish on Monday, 17 September 2018
Creamy potato bake recipe
You can make this creamy potato bake the day before, store in the fridge and reheat just before serving.
Desserts perfect for a braai
Even though by this point of the braai you are nursing your very own food baby, there is always space for dessert.
Let Suzelle DIY show you how to make braaipie
Try one of these proudly South African desserts to end things off on a sweet note.
Peppermint crisp tart is easy to make and we’ve yet to meet someone who doesn’t love this proudly South African dessert. And because the warmer weather is here to stay, try this frozen version.
If you just can’t get enough of Peppermint Crist, here are other delicious dessert recipes to try.
Other quick dessert ideas include:
- SA S’mores: Put a South African spin on an American classic, and use Marie biscuits, marshmallows and your favourite chocolate to make s’mores.
- Ice cream in cones: Buy vanilla ice cream and allow guests to select their own toppings (we like sprinkles, Astros and choc chips).
- Giant marshmallows: While bigger isn’t always better, when it comes marshmallows it definitely is. The kids (and grownups) will have fun braaing these.