Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:06 pm
This quick and easy milk tart recipe is perfect for Sunday dessert. We also have advice from an expert on how to make a foolproof milk tart custard.
Ingredients – pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 125g butter
- Pinch of salt
Method – pastry:
- Cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and make stiff dough.
- Press into one or two round cake tins/pie dishes and bake at 180°C until light brown.
Ingredients – filling:
- 4 ½ cups milk
- 2 ½ tbsp. corn flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ½ tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Big spoon of butter
Method – filling:
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until stiff; add sugar, flour, corn flour and salt. Mix well.
- Pour boiling milk into the mixture and stir well.
- Return to stove and stir well until mixture thickens.
- Add butter and vanilla essence and pour into cooked shell.
- Allow to cool in the fridge
- To decorate, sprinkle with cinnamon.
The Velvet Cake Co. owner and pastry chef, Jandri van Zyl, shares her unique tips on how to make a foolproof milk tart custard:
- Patience is key when it comes to a good silky custard.
- For a smooth milk tart, the custard must be cooked slowly over a very low heat and stirred constantly. Use a large pot so that the heat distributes evenly until it gradually thickens. You can also add some corn flour to help the process further.
- Remember to look at the sell by date of your milk – you want to use the freshest milk possible.