Last updated on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:15 pm
Being stuck at home during the lockdown period can make cooking 3 meals a day quite a challenge. What’s more, finding ways to create healthy balanced meals can get tedious after a while. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of vitamin C, and fruit juice high in vitamin C can give you an extra healthy boost.
These easy recipes from Rhodes Quality 100% fruit juices are all high in vitamin C so you can ensure you’re getting some goodness, with a lot of deliciousness.
Pineapple and Passion Fruit Smoothie
A perfect refreshing morning start packed with vitamin power.
- 250ml Rhodes Quality Pineapple Fruit Juice Blend
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp
- 2 frozen bananas
- 125ml (½ cup) plain yoghurt
- Place the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Juice and the Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp into a blender.
- Add the bananas and the yoghurt.
- Blend until smooth and frothy. Serve while chilled.
Apple and Kiwifruit Salad Dressing
This fruity and sweet dressing is perfect to finish off a green salad.
- 125ml (½ cup) Rhodes Quality 100% Apple Fruit Juice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) water
- 3 ripe kiwifruits, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- To serve: fresh salad greens, sliced cucumbers, sliced avocado, sliced spring onions
- Place the Rhodes Quality Apple juice into a blender along with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth and well blended.
- Season to taste.
- Chill until serving.
- Mix together all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour over the desired amount of dressing.
- Toss lightly to mix.
- 200ml Rhodes Quality Cranberry Fruit Juice Blend
- 65ml (¼ cup) sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) Rhodes Quality Mango Fruit Juice Blend
- 250ml (1 cup) Rhodes Quality Pineapple Fruit Juice Blend
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Fresh mint leaves
- Place the Rhodes Quality Cranberry Fruit Juice and the sugar into a small saucepan.
- Bring to the heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the cranberry syrup coats the back of a spoon.
- Mix together the Rhodes Quality Mango Fruit Juice and the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Fruit Juice.
- Add the lemon juice and stir well.
- Place the ice into a tall glass. Drizzle in the cranberry syrup to lightly coat the bottom of the glass.
- Fill with the mango-pineapple juice.
- Serve immediately.
Easy Pancakes with Sweet Orange Sauce
A layered, easy-to-make pancake dessert, filled with fruity bites and cream, and topped with a sweet orange sauce.
Ingredients (for the pancake batter):
- 250g cake flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 1ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 2 eggs
- 125ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) vinegar
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- A little sunflower oil for frying
Ingredients (for the orange sauce):
- 500ml Rhodes Quality 100 % Orange Fruit Juice
- ¾ cup Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade
- ¾ cup orange liqueur (optional)
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 1 x 410g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces in Syrup, drained
- 4 segmented oranges or naartjies
- Whipped cream
Method (for the pancakes):
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk together.
- Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour forming a thick, lump-free batter at first, then as more liquid is added, a smooth pourable batter.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Turn the heat to medium and pour off any excess oil.
- Add about 65ml-125ml (¼ cup- ½ cup) of batter to the pan and swirl the pan around so that the batter settles in an even layer.
- Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until the base is golden before flipping over the pancake and cooking for another minute on the other side.
- Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
Method (for the orange sauce):
- Place the Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice in a small saucepan.
- Add the Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade and heat to boiling point.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the liqueur (if using) and the lemon juice.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture back up to just below boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing each cube in well before adding another.
- Layer the pancakes in a stack alternating with a layer of the orange or naartjie segments, the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces, and the cream.
- Pour the orange syrup over the pancakes and serve.
Apple Juice Granola
A crunchy and delicious granola snack, with a fresh apple pie taste.
*Makes 4 cups
- 190ml (¾ cup) Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice
- 750ml (3 cups) oats
- 100g (1 cup) flaked almonds
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground cinnamon
- 65ml (¼ cup) brown sugar
- 1ml (¼ tsp.) salt
- 45ml (3 Tbsp.) coconut oil
- Measure the oats and flaked almonds into a baking dish and stir well to mix.
- Add the cinnamon, sugar and salt and mix together well.
- Add the coconut oil to the tray.
- Pour the Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice over the oats mixture and stir well until the mixture is wet through and evenly mixed.
- Bake the granola in an oven preheated to 160°C for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir well to mix.
- Continue to bake the granola for a further 25-30 minutes, stirring at 10 minute intervals, until the granola is golden and dry.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.