If you haven’t planned what to make for dinner – these quick and easy recipes will save the day.
Grilled chicken stuffed with spinach and feta
- 400g chicken breast, raw
- 100g onion
- 120g reduced-fat feta cheese
- 300g spinach
- 20ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Carefully cut a slit into one side of the chicken breast. Work your knife into the breast, forming a pocket.
- Heat 5ml of the olive oil in a large pan and cook the sliced onion and finely shredded spinach until soft, season and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Crumble the feta into the cooled spinach and mix well. Stuff the chicken pockets with the spinach mixture and close the chicken with a toothpick.
- Grill on a hot grill and baste the chicken with olive oil.
Chicken a’La King
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 550g chicken
- 400g mushrooms
- 140g frozen peas
- 90g peppadews
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 375ml skim milk
- 3 tbsp cake flour
- 150ml water
- 10ml Virgin Olive Oil
- Fry the sliced mushrooms and garlic in a large pan with the olive oil until soft and brown, set aside.
- Combine the flour with a bit of the milk, and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Add a further 100ml of the milk to the paste and stir again removing all the lumps.
- Pour the paste into a large pot with the remaining milk, water and the chicken stock.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and serve.
Everyone has a variation of this recipe. To make it lower in fat, but still yummy, we used yoghurt instead of mayonnaise.
*Recipe from Catherine Harvey
*Serves 4 – 6
- 6-8 chicken portions e.g. drumsticks and thighs, skin and all fat removed
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- ½ cup chutney
- ½ cup orange juice or rooibos tea
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with water to make a paste
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place the chicken and onion in an oven dish.
- Mix the yoghurt, chutney, juice, salt and cornflour paste together and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with small portions of brown rice or mashed potatoes and broccoli and carrots.