Who said cherries were reserved for dessert?
In this vegetarian crowd pleaser, their more savoury qualities come to play with aromatic herbs and garlic, creamy cheese and flaky pastry. What’s more – it’s the perfect weekend snack when you’re having a braai or just when the kids want something to snack on.
- 1 cup pitted Cherry Time cherries
- 1 x 400g roll of ready-made puff pastry
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 200g buffalo mozzarella, torn into chunks
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- To serve: crème fraiche
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and sprinkle with flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry onto the prepared baking tray and prick the pastry with a fork in a few spaces.
- In a bowl, mix the garlic with the olive oil.
- Brush the pastry with some garlic oil, leaving some aside.
- Toss the cherries in the remaining garlic oil and spread across the pastry, taking care to leave a border around the edges.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tart in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, scatter the mozzarella across the top, and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Scatter over the fresh basil, cut, and serve immediately with a dollop of crème fraiche.
*Recipe by Saadiyah Hendricks
Saadiyah Hendricks is a working mom of two little girls with a deep love for baking and all things delicious. On her blog sadiesbubbleofyum.com she shares Halaal recipes, tips and all things foodie-related.