This is undoubtedly the worst week in January; the one where there’s still too much month left after our money. Our vibe is so low, even the sales are looking unappealing …
Well, there’s no reason not to look fabulous. Before we start thinking about shopping the autumn collections, here are few style tips to reinvent your look with what you may already have.
These hacks have been 2017-approved so rest assured, you’ll be bang on trend. Besides, recycling is so en vogue:
1. The 80’s trends are back with a vengeance so raid your mom’s or your granny’s wardrobe. Hey, you may even have a suitcase of stuff in the garage. Dust off that denim jacket and Converse high tops, throw in last season’s printed slip dress and you’re sorted for the new year.
2. Athleisure is still a thing. In fact, it’s become such an integral part of our daily look that it isn’t even a trend anymore. Wearing gym wear during the day will now just be called hashtag what I wore today. For a fresher look, mash up different prints and styles in the same colour palette.
3. Wear sneakers and trainers with everything from flouncy skirts to business suits. White isn’t the only pair to own. Look out for embellishments, embroidered logos, prints and patterns; the bolder the better.
4. Accessories will take centre stage. Instead of enhancing an outfit, accessories will be owning the look. Take a stock standard T-shirt or slip dress in the most neutral of colours, then go wild with accessories. The quirkier the better.
5. Electric colours made a huge splash at New York Fashion Week Spring 2017. Lime green and hot pink are two colours we’ll definitely be featuring throughout the year.
Above: Boohoo floral slip dress R499, Spree; Style Republic denim jacket R450, Spree; Converse sneakers R759, and mini mock croc bag R499, Accessorize.
Above: Bomber jacket R450, Revenge; sleeveless hoodie R119,95, Mr Price; Adidas jogger R499, Zando and Katrin slip on R450, Superbalist.
Above: Mango dress R449, Spree; lace-up suede sandal R999, Woolworths; bucket bag R499, Accessorize; leather court R599, Woolworths and beaded lemon clutch R899, Accessorize.
Until payday rolls around – or even beyond – have fun with your stuff. That’s what life and style are all about.