Being able to understand all of the nutritional information on the label will help you make your choice. Here’s what to look for when you next go shopping:
- Lactose – Many adults can’t digest milk because their bodies don’t make enough of the enzyme lactase, and this makes them lactose intolerant. If this is you, then choose a dairy alternative that’s completely lactose-free.
- Sugar – Many dairy alternatives are loaded with added sugar and sweeteners to create a better taste and flavour. This is not a good option for diabetics and anyone who is cutting down on their sugar intake. Look for an unsweetened alternative such as Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk which has no added sugar.
- Fat – If you are cutting down on your fat intake due to dietary reasons you should make sure you choose a dairy alternative that has no more than 3g of fat per 100ml serving. And remember that not all fats are equal; unsaturated fats are a better option for health reasons than saturated fats.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) – Many products are grown from genetically modified seeds. Some people are sceptical of GM products as these are not from a ‘natural’ source. If this is something you want to avoid, opt for a GMO-free dairy alternative.
- Taste – If you are looking for a dairy alternative that tastes great, Almond Breeze Almond Milk has a rich, creamy and nutty flavour, making this a delicious choice that can be used with your favourite smoothie or cup of coffee, in cooking and baking – or simply enjoyed as a standalone beverage.
So whichever dairy alternative is best for you make sure to read the label on the back of the packaging first!
Almond Breeze Original and Unsweetened is available at leading supermarkets nationally for a recommended retail price of R34, 95. Visit www.almondbreeze.co.za more information.