On Tuesday, Indian authorities began a probe after 90 children fell ill after eating the midday meal at a school in the eastern state of Jharkhand

The schoolchildren had consumed the midday meal on Monday.

“The free lunch was allegedly infected by a lizard. We have initiated an investigation and take action against those guilty of negligence, (sic)” a senior state government official said, on condition of anonymity.

The students of classes 1 to 6 of Chilga upgraded middle school in the state’s Giridih district’s Jamua block had reportedly consumed khichdi (a cooked mixture of rice and lentils) and soon started complaining of vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain.

They were immediately rushed to a hospital and some were discharged after initial treatment, B.M. Rai, a doctor, told the media

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

This is not the first time that schoolchildren have fallen ill after consuming lizard-infected mid-day meal.

Some 60 children had to be hospitalised after eating such food at a school in Chatra district in May.

Author: ANA Newswire