Last updated on Jan 21st, 2021 at 02:23 pm

A woman was killed and 17 people were injured in a stampede by would-be students desperately seeking registration at the University of Johannesburg’s Auckland Park campus on Tuesday morning, said Johannesburg emergency services.

“One female died, 17 have been treated for minor injuries, and will be taken to hospital,” said emergency services spokeswoman Nana Radebe.

“We received a call at about 07h30 this morning. It is alleged that the stampede occurred just after they opened the gate,” she said.

LATEST: UJ announced that it was suspending late registrations

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Disaster bus

A disaster bus was on the scene helping the injured, three of whom were serious, but stable.

University spokesman Herman Esterhuizen said further details would be released at a press conference at the university at 10h00.

UJ registrar Marie Muller told eNews channel that the incident happened as students queued for last-minute applications to the tertiary institution.

5 000 applications on Monday

The university received 5 000 applications for new applications on Monday.

It was turning away people still outside the campus and trying to get in on Tuesday morning.

Netcare 911 spokesman Jeff Wicks said the mother of a prospective student sustained severe head and chest trauma.

“She was intubated and placed on a manual ventilator at the scene and transported by ambulance to the specialist [Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic] hospital for further care,” Wicks said.

Largest in South Africa

The university bills itself as one of the “largest, multi-campus, residential universities in South Africa”.

It is a merger between the former Rand Afrikaans University, the Technikon Witwatersrand and the Soweto and the East Rand campuses of Vista University.

It has four campuses — Auckland Park Kingsway, Auckland Park Bunting Road, Doornfontein and Soweto.

It also has a four-language policy of English, isiZulu, Afrikaans and Sesotho sa Leboa.

Its students come from over 50 countries in Africa and around the world.