7. Mountain biking on the Cape West Coast
There are many fantastic MTB Trails on the Cape West Coast where families and beginners to experts will find a mountain bike trail to suit them. The vast range of road and trail conditions, weather patterns and fauna and flora always make for an interesting ride.
- SAS Saldanha Nature Reserve – The pristine reserve is located inside the military grounds on a peninsula and offers spectacular ocean views and many scenic trails.
- West Coast Fossil Park – All starting at the visitor’s centre, there four trails to choose from, ranging from 3.5km to 10km, which are of varying degrees of difficulty.
- West Coast National Park – Biking is a unique way to experience the West Coast National Park and there are two trails to choose from, both offering spectacular scenic rides which are not too challenging.
- !khwa ttu San Cultural and Education Centre – The trail has a 30km adventurous track and a family-friendly 10 kilometre ride, both routes taking you on a fascinating journey across !Khwa ttu and over the Darling Hills, offering excellent views and amazing game encounters.
With the Atlantic Ocean as its western border, the Cape West Coast boasts many pristine, sandy white beaches and fascinating craggy bays with excellent conditions for a variety of activities; from water sports and fishing to hiking and relaxing in the sun.
Whether you want to enjoy secluded sunbathing, enjoy a gentle kayak or rush across the water airborne, there is the perfect beach just for you. And the best part is that you will never have a strangers’ right towel up against yours – instead you will have peace and quiet and your own space in which to relax.
9. Enjoy the freshest sea food in idyllic locations
Renowned for its seafood, the West Coast boasts many stunning oceanfront restaurants, several of which are right on the beach. Feast on the ocean’s bounty, cooked on an open fire, while you relax with your toes in the sand. Die Strandloper in Langebaan and Standkombuis in Yzerfontein are both popular beach venues and the perfect way to spend an afternoon of feasting and relaxing.
If you are in need of serious relaxation or your tired limbs need to recover from hiking or kite-surfing, indulge in a little pampering at one of the luxurious spas on the Cape West Coast. Great spas can be found at Mykonos Resort in Langebaan, Shelley Point Hotel, Spa & Country Club and The Lodge at Atlantic Beach. All offer excellent accommodation, so make a weekend of it instead of rushing home.
For instant access to more information about all these places, and loads more exciting West Coast destinations, an informative and free app is also available for download from Google Play store, Windows Phone store and the Apple iTunes store. West Coast Way’s 101+ Points of Interest app is available as part of an internationally recognised travel app called Tourism Radio City Guides, and showcases over 101 fantastic things to see and do on the West Coast.