This is according to a comment in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, written by Professor Stephanie Page, of the University of Washington and Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, USA.

Clinical trials incomplete â?? conflicting findings

Whilst the benefits of testosterone therapy in younger men with a deficiency of the hormone are well established, testosterone is now widely prescribed to older men, particularly in the USA.

Possible cardiovascular risks

Existing studies have produced conflicting findings over whether the prescription of testosterone is associated with increased cardiovascular risk in older men. Ongoing studies are unlikely to address this question adequately, meaning that, even if an appropriately powered trial were to start today, reliable safety data could be at least a decade away.

Support needed urgently

According to Professor Page, â??In an era when millions of men are using testosterone every day, support is urgently needed from both the public and medical communities to fund an appropriate clinical study to assess the risks and benefits of testosterone treatment in older men. There is a danger that funding and regulatory agencies will overinterpret the evidence from existing and ongoing observational studies, and conclude that larger and longer clinical trials are unnecessary and unwarranted. This conclusion would do menâ??s health a disservice.â?

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Testosterone â?? a billion dollar industry

Professor Page adds that testosterone is a billion dollar industry and is probably partly fuelled by both direct-to-consumer advertising and also a degree of over-prescription.

â??Physicians need to discuss with their patients that we simply do not fully understand the risks associated with testosterone use in older men, and use conservative treatment guidelines â?? such as those provided by the Endocrine Society â?? to guide therapeutic decisions,â? says Professor Page.

For full comment, see: http://press.thelancet.com/testosterone.pdf

While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.