Last updated on Jun 21st, 2021 at 12:18 pm

Doctors have successfully managed to remove a safety pin lodged in a three-month-old girl’s throat…

The unidentified three-month-old baby girl was taken to the Children’s Clinical Hospital in the city of Shymkent in Kazakhstan by ambulance. Paramedics said she had a “foreign body in the respiratory tract.”

Local news outlet Otyrar reported that the doctors urgently examined the baby and made an X-ray. They were surprised when it revealed that there was a safety pin in the upper third of the trachea.

To remove the foreign body, the little patient surgeons A. Tulkibayev, N. Koyanbaev, and the anaesthesiologist B. Totikov were called in. Thankfully they managed to remove the safety pin without the need for surgery.

Doctor Tukibayev said, “During the operation, a safety pin was removed with a fibreoptic bronchoscope. The operation took place without incisions. The baby is in good condition. She is receiving the necessary treatment following the protocol.”

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Tragic: Toddler dies after swallowing tiny battery

A fairly common experience

According to the report of news outlet Nur, doctors of the hospital note that children who swallowed foreign bodies are admitted to the centre surprisingly often.

Sometimes these bodies get stuck in the trachea or bronchi. Due to their size, they cannot pass through the oesophagus. Usually, these are beads, beans, nails, buttons, needles, pins, bones, and small coins.

The danger lies in the fact that objects with a sharp edge can get stuck in the trachea walls or in the walls of the main bronchus.

Doctors added that this happens most often with children left without supervision.

Safety Pin Removed From Three Month Old Babys Throat
The safety pin that was removed from the three-month-old baby girl by the hospital’s qualified surgeons, (@otyrar.kz/Newsflash/MagazineFeatures.co.za)

READ MORE in Latest News: