A 38-year-old Eastern Cape man who was arrested for the murder of his 15-year-old “girlfriend” briefly appeared in the Zwelitsha Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Thando Bhayibhile is accused of the murder of Yonela Nonkeneza.

According to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), the case was postponed to 8 April.

Nonkeneza’s body was exhumed on 31 March from a grave that was dug under the accused’s bed in Qawukeni Village, outside Qonce.

The discovery of the body brought to an end a three-day search for the teen, who had gone missing on 28 March.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Hours later, local police arrested Bhayibhile near Lower Mthombe.

On Monday, angry residents from Qawukeni protested outside the court against Bhayibhile’s release on bail.

Ngqushwa Local Municipality Ward 3 councillor, Bulela Ntabeni, was among the protesters.

Ntabeni said: “We went to the court as men to support women to say: ‘Not in our name.’ We condemn gender-based violence. This incident had horrified the community, so we want to send a message to the magistrate, which is no bail. The community cannot live with someone like that amongst us. He belongs in prison.”

Quarrel

Nonkeneza’s sister, Nontombazana Sofolo, claimed Bhayibhile and Nonkeneza were involved in a romantic relationship. She claimed prior to the incident, the two had a quarrel over Bhayibhile’s missing R500 and Bhayibhile accused Nonkeneza of stealing the money.

Sofolo said that when she heard about the money conflict, she intervened and begged him not to harm Nonkeneza, promising to pay him back in instalments on her behalf.

The sister added that she hoped the discovery of Nonkeneza’s body would bring the family closure.

She said that when Yonela started dating Bhayibhile, she barely stayed at home.

A respected leader in Qawukeni, Freeman Gqatso, previously told News24 that said Bhayibhile was a well-known criminal who spent more time in prison than he did outside of prison.

He said Nonkeneza had been warned to stay away from him.

The incident sent shockwaves across the Eastern Cape and sparked widespread condemnation.

A KwaZulu-Natal pastor who raped one of his flock has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crimes. Pastor Sibusiso Gerald Nyathikazi, 40, was sentenced in the Ulundi Regional Court on Monday after he was found guilty of two counts of rape. "This is after the accused, who was also a spiritual guardian to the 19-year-old victim, raped her while at his house in Nqutu," police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said on Tuesday. Gwala said that in 2018, the pastor lured the teen to his home and raped her. "He instructed the victim not to tell a soul about the whole ordeal since it was going to destroy his reputation as a pastor. The victim who was traumatised told no one and continued going to church like nothing happened. "The pastor, who was trusted to pray for the victim as she was not feeling well, raped the victim again while they were attending another church service at Wasbank in 2018." The teen later reported the incident to family. "A case of rape was opened at Ulundi SAPS and the docket was transferred to the Ulundi Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit for further investigation. The accused was arrested and made several court appearances until he was convicted and sentenced," said Gwala.

KZN pastor jailed for raping teen

A KwaZulu-Natal pastor who raped one of his flock has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crimes.

PPE worth about R40m lost in Charlotte Maxeke hospital fire - Mkhize

PPE worth about R40m lost in Charlotte Maxeke hospital fire – Mkhize

An estimated R40 million worth of PPE and other essentials were burnt when parts of the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital caught fire on Friday, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Tuesday.

Cape Town fire

Arson or accident? What sparked CT blaze? City collecting evidence

Potentially useful video footage and CCTV footage can be sent to jermaine.carelse@capetown.gov.za

Family demands answers after woman is accused of witchcraft, brutally murdered

Family demands answers after woman is accused of witchcraft, brutally murdered

The mourning family of slain Jostina Sangweni has pleaded for the arrest of more suspects involved in her murder.

Cape Town fire

Thousands of UCT students left destitute after fire

The University of Cape Town’s (UCT) student representative council (SRC) has pleaded with the public to make donations for students who were evacuated due to a massive fire that destroyed buildings at the institution on Sunday evening.

Author: News24.com