As active coronavirus cases in the Western Cape declined overnight by over 200, a Cape Town hospital on Wednesday announced it was “Covid-free” after it discharged its last Covid-19 patient.

“Whilst we are mindful of the fact that there may be more Covid-19 admissions at the hospital in future, this key milestone is one that must not go unnoticed given the arduous journey that has been overcome in recent months,” Melomed spokesperson Shameema Adams said.

According to the hospital group, Melomed Mitchells Plain was one of the first hospitals in South Africa to admit and treat a Covid-19 positive patient – on 19 April 2020.

“It is now the first hospital in the Melomed group to currently have no Covid-19 patients currently admitted. Our other Melomed hospitals have also seen a massive decline in Covid-19 cases and should see most, if not all, Covid-19 patients discharged soon,” Adams said in a statement.

“Whilst this is extremely encouraging, we are still very mindful and prepared for a potential third wave of infections that may occur.”

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

According to the Western Cape government’s Covid-19 dashboard, active cases in the province on Wednesday stood at 2 069, down from Tuesday’s 2 270.

Overnight, 127 new cases were confirmed.

Since the outbreak of the pandemic, 280 817 people had been infected, while 11 480 died. A total of 267 208 recovered and 1 455 497 tests were completed.

In Mitchells Plain, 17 355 cases were confirmed, making it the subdistrict with the sixth highest number of cases.

In his weekly digicon last week, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said Covid-19 surveillance and data at the time showed that hospital admissions were down by 22% and deaths declined by 62%.

Covid-19 hospital occupancy at the time, stood at 10% in the metro, 15% in the George drainage area, 22% in Paarl and 21% in Worcester.

The Mitchells Plain Hospital of Hope last week started admitting non-Covid patients, although the infrastructure would remain in place to be reactivated should a third wave require this, Winde said.

A KwaZulu-Natal pastor who raped one of his flock has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crimes. Pastor Sibusiso Gerald Nyathikazi, 40, was sentenced in the Ulundi Regional Court on Monday after he was found guilty of two counts of rape. "This is after the accused, who was also a spiritual guardian to the 19-year-old victim, raped her while at his house in Nqutu," police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said on Tuesday. Gwala said that in 2018, the pastor lured the teen to his home and raped her. "He instructed the victim not to tell a soul about the whole ordeal since it was going to destroy his reputation as a pastor. The victim who was traumatised told no one and continued going to church like nothing happened. "The pastor, who was trusted to pray for the victim as she was not feeling well, raped the victim again while they were attending another church service at Wasbank in 2018." The teen later reported the incident to family. "A case of rape was opened at Ulundi SAPS and the docket was transferred to the Ulundi Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit for further investigation. The accused was arrested and made several court appearances until he was convicted and sentenced," said Gwala.

KZN pastor jailed for raping teen

A KwaZulu-Natal pastor who raped one of his flock has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crimes.

PPE worth about R40m lost in Charlotte Maxeke hospital fire - Mkhize

PPE worth about R40m lost in Charlotte Maxeke hospital fire – Mkhize

An estimated R40 million worth of PPE and other essentials were burnt when parts of the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital caught fire on Friday, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Tuesday.

Cape Town fire

Arson or accident? What sparked CT blaze? City collecting evidence

Potentially useful video footage and CCTV footage can be sent to jermaine.carelse@capetown.gov.za

Family demands answers after woman is accused of witchcraft, brutally murdered

Family demands answers after woman is accused of witchcraft, brutally murdered

The mourning family of slain Jostina Sangweni has pleaded for the arrest of more suspects involved in her murder.

Cape Town fire

Thousands of UCT students left destitute after fire

The University of Cape Town’s (UCT) student representative council (SRC) has pleaded with the public to make donations for students who were evacuated due to a massive fire that destroyed buildings at the institution on Sunday evening.

Author: News24.com