The Durban University of Technology (DUT) has shut all of its campuses after alleged fake news saying the institution was allowing walk-in registrations led to protest action on Wednesday.

“Following the risk to health, safety, and security, the university suspended the on-campus support for online registration [on Tuesday] indefinitely. However, normal online registration will continue in the manner it has been all along, but without on-campus support,” DUT spokesperson Alan Khan said.

“Simply, the influx of uninvited people on campus continues to violate the Covid-19 protocols.”

He said the closure came after a large number of people flocked to the campus on Tuesday following the spreading of fake news.

“Yesterday [Tuesday] a large number of people invaded the sports centre on the Steve Biko Campus in Durban. This was after they had reacted to fake social media posts inviting walk-ins to register at DUT. The university did not invite walk-ins to register on campus.”

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Khan said that overnight many remained at the sports centre.

“A significant number of people continued to occupy the sports centre and refused the request to leave campus. Over the course of this morning [Wednesday], the situation escalated with protesters milling around outside the Steve Biko campus, hurling stones at buildings, damaging university property, barricading public roads, including several attempts to invade more buildings on campus.”

He said law enforcement had to be called in.

“The university has called on all of the relevant law enforcement agencies to assist in calming this potentially dangerous situation. It has become clear that the situation is tough to contain, and it is being exacerbated with increasing numbers of people trying to force their way onto many other parts of the Durban campuses. This also poses a bigger threat for Covid-19 infections.”

“As a result, all five Durban campuses of the university will be closed until further notice.”

He said that all online university functions and activities would continue.

“This means that online registration for first time entering students with firm offers will proceed as previously announced.”

A KwaZulu-Natal pastor who raped one of his flock has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crimes. Pastor Sibusiso Gerald Nyathikazi, 40, was sentenced in the Ulundi Regional Court on Monday after he was found guilty of two counts of rape. "This is after the accused, who was also a spiritual guardian to the 19-year-old victim, raped her while at his house in Nqutu," police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said on Tuesday. Gwala said that in 2018, the pastor lured the teen to his home and raped her. "He instructed the victim not to tell a soul about the whole ordeal since it was going to destroy his reputation as a pastor. The victim who was traumatised told no one and continued going to church like nothing happened. "The pastor, who was trusted to pray for the victim as she was not feeling well, raped the victim again while they were attending another church service at Wasbank in 2018." The teen later reported the incident to family. "A case of rape was opened at Ulundi SAPS and the docket was transferred to the Ulundi Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit for further investigation. The accused was arrested and made several court appearances until he was convicted and sentenced," said Gwala.

KZN pastor jailed for raping teen

A KwaZulu-Natal pastor who raped one of his flock has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crimes.

PPE worth about R40m lost in Charlotte Maxeke hospital fire - Mkhize

PPE worth about R40m lost in Charlotte Maxeke hospital fire – Mkhize

An estimated R40 million worth of PPE and other essentials were burnt when parts of the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital caught fire on Friday, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Tuesday.

Cape Town fire

Arson or accident? What sparked CT blaze? City collecting evidence

Potentially useful video footage and CCTV footage can be sent to jermaine.carelse@capetown.gov.za

Family demands answers after woman is accused of witchcraft, brutally murdered

Family demands answers after woman is accused of witchcraft, brutally murdered

The mourning family of slain Jostina Sangweni has pleaded for the arrest of more suspects involved in her murder.

Cape Town fire

Thousands of UCT students left destitute after fire

The University of Cape Town’s (UCT) student representative council (SRC) has pleaded with the public to make donations for students who were evacuated due to a massive fire that destroyed buildings at the institution on Sunday evening.

Author: News24.com