The Earl of Strathmore, Simon Bowes-Lyon, pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of a woman at Glamis Castle in February last year…
The 34-year-old, who is the son of the Queen’s cousin, was sentenced to 10 months behind bars on Tuesday.
According to reports, the assault happened in a bedroom at Glamis Castle. Following his guilty plea last month, Bowes-Lyon apologised for his actions saying he felt “greatly ashamed” to have caused distress to a guest in his home.
Sky News reported that the Earl said he drank excessively on the night of the assault, but acknowledged that it was in no way an excuse for what had happened.
Simon Bowes-Lyon – who is the Queen’s first cousin twice removed – forced his way into the sleeping woman’s room during a weekend event he was hosting
— Graeme Ogston (@BBCGraemeO) February 23, 2021
Over the past year he has received professional help and will now serve just under a year jail.
When speaking outside the court, he said he did not think himself capable of behaving that way but he’s had to face up to it and taken responsibility.
Glamis Castle is the seat of the earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne, who are both part of the Queen Mother’s family.
Queen’s cousin Simon-Bowes Lyon jailed after breaking into woman’s room https://t.co/JovKe2RWWK
— The Irish Sun (@IrishSunOnline) February 23, 2021
: A prisoner transportation service has left Dundee Sheriff Court following the sentencing of Simon Bowes-Lyon.
The Queen’s first cousin twice removed is being jailed for 10 months for sexually assaulting a woman at his ancestral home in Angus. pic.twitter.com/h6znEdlWWb
— Radio Tay News (@RadioTayNews) February 23, 2021