The South African Education Department spent R431 MILLION on sanitising and deep cleaning schools…
But it wasn’t for the whole year. This staggering amount was for three months work by just 300 suppliers who were employed by the department last year. That’s around R480 000 per supplier, per month.
For some reason, MEC for Education Panyaza Lesufi says he was ‘shocked’ by the amount which, according to a report by the Daily Maverick, was spent between June and August 2020.
But who was overseeing it?
The Democratic Alliance is now demanding answers, and calling for heads to roll. In particular, they want Gauteng Premier David Makhura to hold MEC Lesufi accountable for the massive wastage.
The Daily Maverick revealed that the type cleaning done by the appointed companies was “not required or recommended by either the Department of Health or the Department of Basic Education.”
How many repairs could this amount of money have covered? How many books bought, classrooms renovated, or schools built?
[ON AIR] The @Our_DA calls on Premier @David_Makhura to investigate more than R431 million spent by the @educationgp on decontaminating the schools. @nramulifho MPL – @DAGauteng Shadow MEC for Education on #SAfmSunrise with @MichConstant #sabcnews pic.twitter.com/0McLUJH7RR
— SAfmRadio January 27, 2021
The DA’s Khume Ramulifho said an in interview with SAFM, that the party is now “calling on Premier Makhura to initiate an urgent investigation to ascertain exactly how much was spent per school.”
READ MORE in Latest News: