Last updated on Mar 3rd, 2021 at 12:51 pm
3 reasons why finger puppets are great for your tot:
- They help children build social skills (cooperation and acceptance) as they learn to listen to each other and take turns.
- Puppets are a great way for kids to release their emotions, and help them to express their feelings and concerns. Plus, it gives them the opportunity to practise saying what they feel through the puppet.
- It’s an assisted tool for language development as children experiment with different voices and characters.
Making the under-the-sea finger puppets
We have two easy-to-go routes for making these delightful little finger puppets. Depending on the age of
your tot and his skill level, you could get him to help create his own puppets. Sewing clearly requires adult hands, but gluing down with some supervision can easily be achieved by your little crafter.
You will need:
- Colourful felt
- A marker
- Embroidery thread
- Scissors and glue
- Using our template (or hand draw your own version), trace and help your little one to cut out the sea puppets. Remembering to do two – one for the front and one for the back.
- You can stich the shapes together (leaving a gap at the bottom open to insert your finger) or you could glue the sides using Bostik Clear Glue).
- Stick or glue on eyes, teeth and tentacles. (Small buttons work well for the eyes and help your little one practise his pincer grip).