Last updated on Jan 31st, 2021 at 07:46 pm
Playing with playdough is great for imaginative play and developing your little one’s fine motor skills. And now that winter’s here, playdough is the perfect activity to keep little hands busy on cold days. You don’t even have to make a trip to the shops. All you need is a microwave and a few standard pantry items to make your own playdough.
Ingredients for microwave playdough
- 1cup water
- 1 tbs cooking oil
- 25 drops lemon juice, sieved
- 1 ½ tsp food colouring
- 1/3 cup fine salt
- 1 cup flour
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix the water, oil and food colouring.
- Add the lemon juice and stir before adding the salt.
- Gradually add the flour while stirring to prevent lumps.
- Microwave on high in your Samsung HotBlast Microwave for 30 seconds, remove bowl from microwave and stir. Repeat this process four times until the mixture has formed a ball.
- Let it stand for a few minutes to cool.
- Remove from bowl and put the playdough ball on a plate, covered in plastic wrap to cool completely.
- Allow the dough to cool and store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Now that you have playdough, encourage your little one to roll and pinch it to create figurines, blocks or even numbers and letters. These activities will encourage the precise movements required to build fine motor skills. The achievement of building something of their own design from scratch will also help build confidence and self-esteem.