Last updated on Jun 21st, 2021 at 10:48 am
*Serves 4 – 6
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 1kg lean mince
- 2 x 425g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 1tsp dried basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the mince and brown. Stir with a fork to break up any clumps.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the tomato paste, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Simmer uncovered for approximately 45 minutes until the liquid reduces to a sauce – not too watery or too thick. Add ½ cup of water if necessary during the cooking time if the sauce becomes too thick.
- While the mince is cooking, prepare the veggie topping.
Ingredients for veggie topping
- 200g butternut, cut into small chunks
- 2 baby marrows, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large potato, parboiled and diced
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a baking tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the veggies on the tray, drizzle over a little olive oil, sprinkle with vegetable seasoning, and toss.
- Roast until very tender – about 20 minutes.
- Mash the veggies with a potato masher
- To assemble, spoon the bolognaise mince into a casserole or oven-proof dish and spread the mashed veggie mix over the meat.
- Brush with olive oil and bake until crispy and browned – about 20 minutes.