Last updated on Jan 31st, 2021 at 09:57 pm
In order to thrive during pregnancy and grow a healthy baby, we need to feel as healthy as possible. How do we achieve this? Homeopathic medicine is a good solution. It’s safe to use during all stages of pregnancy and breastfeeding, and is effective in treating pregnancy niggles like morning sickness.
Homeopathic medicine explained
Homeopathy is an ancient system of medicine. The specifically chosen or prescribed medication stimulates your immune system to respond appropriately to an invading organism or assist your body’s normal feedback systems to return to a healthy, functional level. So instead of treating the symptoms, you look at what’s causing the problem.
A diluted solution
A medicine that’s classified as ‘natural’, is not necessarily safe to use in pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Homeopathy is often associated with herbal medicine, yet they aren’t the same at all. Herbal medication is as pharmacologically active as any conventional medication. Homeopathic medication is made in a process of serial dilution and secussion, and this minimum dose approach rarely causes adverse side-effects.
What homeopathic medicine can pregnant women take?
Since homeopathic medicine is safe throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding, it’s virtually a risk-free solution for all of those pregnancy-induced conditions. Clinical Homeopath Dr Jacquelyn Schultz explains that there are certain remedies that you can try for the following pregnancy discomforts.
- Sepia 30CH. This is great for heavy, downward sensations in the stomach where you experience an ineffectual urge to pass a stool that often looks like large nuts or ‘bokdrolletjies’.
- Nux Vom 30CH. Can be used when you have a constant ineffectual desire to pass a stool, and when you do manage to go, you feel as if you’re not yet done. You may also experience loud, flatulent rumblings after eating.
- Opium 30CH is used when there is no desire to pass a stool, but when you go, you produce small, hard, dark balls.
- Arsenicum Album. This homeopathic medicine works well for anxiety that’s particularly severe between the hours of 12am and 2am.
- Argentum Nitricum. This remedy is ideal for calming nerves leading up to an event such as giving birth. Ideally, consult a homeopathic practitioner who can examine your symptoms and devise a specific script for your symptoms with individualised doses.
For morning sickness and nausea
- Sepia helps with nausea especially at the sight and smell of food.
- Tabacum reduces incessant nausea that escalates with certain smells like tobacco smoke, and vomiting.
- Nux Vomica helps with irritability of the entire digestive system.
- Symphoricarpus Racemosa is great when you’re vomiting persistently.
- Arsenicum Album helps to soothe burning in the pit of the stomach and frequent vomiting that’s relieved by sipping water.
- Nature Carbonicum is ideal for moms-to-be who have a weak digestive system that’s aggravated by dairy products and when belching and joint pain is improved by eating.
For a runny nose or cold/flu symptoms
- Natrum Muriaticum. This remedy helps to treat the watery mucus that’s associated with sneezing, especially in the morning.
Arsenicum Album is a great homeopathic medicine for clearing a blocked, stuffy nose and minimising the effects of constant sniffing and sneezing.
More about the expert:
Dr Schultz is a popular and respected clinical homoeopath practicing privately in Sandton, Gauteng and is registered with the Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa (AHPCSA). She has an MTec (Hom) degree from University of Johannesburg. This is the only approved and recognised degree for registration as a homoeopathic practitioner with the AHPCSA. She is also a member of the Homoeopathic Association of South Africa (HSA). Visit her website drjlschultz.co.za for more information.