Fans may know her as vho-Masindi, Chief Azwindini’s mother in the popular SABC 2 drama, Muvhango, but 66-year-old Regina Nesengani has recently earned herself an incredible accolade…
Last week, Regina was conferred with a PhD Degree by the University of South Africa, (UNISA).
According to a post on Muvhango’s Facebook page, her doctoral dissertation was on gender-based violence and it was written in her native TshiVenda language.
A long history in the entertainment industry
In a mini documentary for SABC 2, Regina revealed that her journey into the entertainment industry began in the 80s when she worked part time at Radio Venda as a voice over artist for adverts.
She then auditioned for a the Muvhango role in 2008, which is the role that introduced her name to SA fans.
She told the SABC that she doesn’t allow her age to get in the way of her dreams, and will continue to pursue her passions and talents no matter what.
In the future, Regina says she would like to see more women writers and directors in the industry.
To celebrate Dr Regina Nesengani’s fantastic achievement, SABC and Word Of Mouth Pictures will pay homage to her on Wednesday.
Congrats to Dr Nesengani! Thank you for being such an inspiring role model!
Messages from fans poured in on Tuesday after they heard the news:
- Heritier Kambaya le Deutéronome: Wow at this age still want to study what about us young… Congratulations vhoMasindi the Queen mother
- Tsakani Glacia Malungana: What an inspiration congratulations to our best actress..”vho Jezebel ” you killed me that day
- Abigail Masi Charumbira: I always knew she was an intelligent woman! Congratulations vhoMasindi!!!
- Allen Anne Van Shelter: Congratulations Dr. Regina. I see more gigs coming your way and you will scooped Dr. We are proud of you.
- Chrissie Mabote Sepere: What a motivation, early in the Morning. Nesengani congratulations, you really worked hard, being a Dr. is not a child’s play. Wow!!!! you are indeed an inspiration
- Eunice Mulima: Congradulations to Dr Nesengani. I am inspired. Everything is possible to those who are determined and those work hard.
- Prudence Kudakwashe Mhlanga: Wooow at that age she never stops going far ,such a true inspiration to the young generation that age is only a number you can still achieve more & make your dreams come true ,congrats Dr Nesengani keep on shining the sky is the limit